Thread: Need Help with map

Default Need Help with map

Hey guy's I'm looking to make a map for a D&D campaign of a city, i've had a little bit of experience making urban maps before but not to this scale.
    I would really like to make one like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casale_Monferrato_map_(018_003).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	69836 but am unsure how to go about it?

I would really appreciate it you could either give me some clues as to how to go about it or even better a tutorial
    I've had a hard time trying to find a Tut that will suite my needs also I primarily use PS to make maps.

Cheers,

I gave it a crack this morning and this is how it turned out :\ any tips?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Irongate_city.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	69874

Well I don't think there is anything wrong with it although I'm not sure if pixel-art style of lines are intentional or not.

I think the city blocks might benefit from some hatching or being a slightly different shade. Your tree icons should also be darker if you want them to look more in line with the example map. As would some subtle brown shading for the water.

Thanks larb, I took your advice and I agree it makes it a bit easierClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Irongate_city.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	69875 to see

I might recommend a wavy pattern for the water perhaps.

Also if you have any other important buildings like the keep/citadel you have outlined in black (such as an important religious building or city hall or other buildings of note) you could delete some of the city blocks and outline it in a similar style. That way it draws attention to the most important places in the city.

Banned User

I think it's a great start! Keep working on it, incorporate suggestions and build more. There is no quick or magic way to do this stuff, it takes time and work, lots of practice.

Guild Novice

For the buildings, try a very light shade of grey fill, just a notch up from white.

Otherwise, I really like how it looks!