Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hill Castle

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Probably not. I'll just keep it greyscale I think. Partly down to laziness - I don't have to agonise over a suitable palette. =P
    The style suits B&W (with grey shade) very well. I've actually jumped in the bandwagon and made a commisioned map for Wastburg RPG in this style and it works great for some inside books. Great job Larb! Do you plan to add the perspective view, that would make a nice composition !
    Last edited by - Max -; 12-30-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

This is insane! I'm blown away by the feedback and all the love this style suddenly gets and what this thread sparked. Thanks so much guys, you are awesome! =)
    Your Hill Castle is really well done, Larb! Not really much I can critique here, probably only that you could try to hatch the corners a bit. I often to this, it helps to smoothen the transition between the walls and the space. I uploaded a pic to show you...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exmpl.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	70012

Keep up the inspiring work!
    Best wishes, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

This is awesome! I love the style and the wall texture is really cool!

Thanks everyone.

I have tried your corner hatching idea on the next map I'm about to post. I have also gone with Max's suggestion of putting the building picture on this new map too. I haven't done that with the castle because I couldn't find a neat enough way to do it.

Ooh, very nice! Quite clean and sketchy. Great job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Since a reference popped up in another thread, I thought I'd come over here and offer a small suggestion: The lines and pattern of the walls is a bit darker and sharper than the rest of the line work. If it were lightened a little and blurred ever so slightly it would integrate better.

But now I need to go chase down Steffen's work and see if it also looks like that.

edit: Yep, it does. The contrast on his is closer to matching, but the line quality mismatch is the same. So fantastic work even matching the artifacts!
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 02-24-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Well I'm not entirely sure how Steffan did his but basically the outside line for the walls/pattern is a layer style stroke which creates a solid black line and the rest is drawn using the pen tool (I use the Paint Tool SAI pen tool, I think Steffan uses the one native to photoshop).

Basically to do the walls I just draw in some solid black lines using the shapes or lines tool, select that layer, create a new pattern layer on top then fill that selection with the pattern and add a stroke using the layer styles.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Fantastic work. Love this style. Makes my gears start turning for sure.

I like it, too. It reminds me of some of the structure maps for ICE's Middle Earth Roleplaying, which is where I got my start in gaming.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12