Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: Newstyle hex

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If there was an easy way to simulate a 'tooltip' i'd suggest that, really can't think of anything good outside of some light, nearly transparent background to put the lettering against. Not sure how that would even look.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

I liked it. Brings fond memories of the Battletech days ^.^

As far as a labeling system, what about little flags? Here's a little example I tried to draw up on my tablet... I'm sure you can make it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool beans guys! I like it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The flag/labeling looks quite nice RobA. I think it's fitting
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

That is certainly a fresh apporach, but like others have said, i can't quite wrap my head around the mountains. It kinda reminds me of... Q-bert.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I like the 3d effect.....and I don't

I like it because it adds a certain pizazz to the map, but I don't like it because it gets so busy in the mountains, I have a hard time determining at times which hex is a higher elevation that others. Unfortunately I cannot even use hex symbols to help out as I see Triple Mountain hexes at a lower elevation than Single Mountain hexes, and some Hill Hexes appear to have a higher Elevation than Triple Mountains?????
    Quote Originally Posted by jezelf View Post
    that's a really cool, fresh approach! - I like it, though it kinda feels a bit busy on the eye - as NeonKnight mentions - in the mountains in particular.

there's certainly something there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    That is certainly a fresh apporach, but like others have said, i can't quite wrap my head around the mountains. It kinda reminds me of... Q-bert.
    I thought it could be my badly rendered mountains, so I ran jezelf's buncklebury beautiful heightfield through inkscape to get a hex tiled heightfield...no better in the mountains than mine:
    Attachment 6488

I think I might have to simplify the whole range...

-Rob A>

Guild Member

I think the problem may be in the amount of contrast between the different elevations on the height-map.

I think flooring the values might work. For example, heights between 0 and 9.99 would round down to 0, sea level. 10-19.99 would round down to 10, as hills. etc.

If you did go with this system, I would make the height difference on the map be equal to the length of one of the hex's sides.

I don't even know if this is possible with the system you are using... let me know how it works.

[Edit] I found what I was looking for in Photoshop... its called "Posterize" (Image > Adjustment > Posterize)... I don't know the GIMP equivalent, so i included an example of the effect
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	6522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	6523  
    Last edited by Darken; 09-16-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Guild Journeyer

You could also try changing the origin of the lightsource as to avoid the dark shadows. Perhaps to the front left than the middle right?

Or rotate the map so the incline of the mountains leads away from the POV and the faces catching the light the most will be more viewable.

Nice quality render you got there.

@Darken - It is posterize in Gimp, too.

I tried that suggestion and it was still messy. I want back and manually created the heightfield based on the hexes and symbols:
    Attachment 6544

I also tried it blurred this and run back through my hex tiler:
    Attachment 6545

Any suggestions on which is better (I'm leaning towards the first)?

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast