Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: Newstyle hex

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree, I like the first one better. Just seems more pleasing/easy on the eyes.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the look of the second one, the lighter stroke on the hexes makes the things inside the hexes stand out more and thus easier to read...for me at least.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like the look of the second one, the lighter stroke on the hexes makes the things inside the hexes stand out more and thus easier to read...for me at least.
    heh. Just realized I left the bevel off on that render... Only the hex line from the image map is drawing, so tiles at the same elevation are all flat, with no bevel on each. I guess that's a personal thing, cause I like the bevel... might tone it down a bit, though...

-Rob A>

I like the second one also. From the angle of projection, it appears on the second one as if the mountains are steadily rising in height to the central peaks.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

I like the first one as well Rob. That's kinda what I was trying to get across; it makes it look more like a character stacked little hex tiles. I prefer it to the smooth gradient of the blur, which loses that stacked look.

Going with the simplest 5 level tiles. I upped the sea level so it would have beveled tiles, too. Fixed the rivers that ran uphill, and have been working on the labeling:

###Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	labeled_1.png 
Views:	247 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	6556

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Now we're talkin, I can see everything clearly and the cast shadows really make it pop. Almost looks like it's real and made of plastic for like a board game. Very nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Good job. I am glad you went with the sharper hexes. It stands out way better. Good Job indeed!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Again I have to say, pretty durn cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast