Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: Newstyle hex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post September Entry: Newstyle hex

I was playing with this style a little while back, and figured I'd give it a go after someone suggested hex maps in the thread:

### Latest WIP ###
    Attachment 6431

The hexmap was drawn entirely in inkscape using all cloned symbols, so I could (for example) change one tree icon and have all of them change.

The heightfield was roughed out in GIMP, then turned in to a hex heightfield using inkscape's create tiled clones feature. Pulled back in GIMP and corrected in places (i.e. get the rivers to flow downhill only) and to add the bevel to the tile edges.

The two were rendered together in PovRay.

Not sure how much more I could do with a map this style.... suggestions for other icons would be good. I was thinking of rendering up little 3D castle objects to sit on the town makers (like game playing pieces) but didn't get to it.

I don't know if it follows the coast well enough either, but I tried

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Impressive to say the least... very cool presentation of the map as well... great idea and inventive... the three D city symbols would have been cool... how long did it take, cause it looks like a long time... cept you mentioned cloned tiles... so you make one, clone it and changes made to one affect all ... something I would have forgotten about as I made each individual hex..

Great stuff Rob.. as usual

I like the 3d effect.....and I don't

I like it because it adds a certain pizazz to the map, but I don't like it because it gets so busy in the mountains, I have a hard time determining at times which hex is a higher elevation that others. Unfortunately I cannot even use hex symbols to help out as I see Triple Mountain hexes at a lower elevation than Single Mountain hexes, and some Hill Hexes appear to have a higher Elevation than Triple Mountains?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf_hex.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	6435  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

@NK - I drew the two separately. I tried to clean up inconsistencies but didn't get them all

One issue I discovered is that terrain and elevation don't line up....i.e. you can high elevation plains or hells and low elevation "mountains"... the hex symbols represent terrain, while the elevation represents, well, elevation... in my mind I was almost thinking base elevation (for mountains) not peak elevations... that might have been a poor thing to do.

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

that's a really cool, fresh approach! - I like it, though it kinda feels a bit busy on the eye - as NeonKnight mentions - in the mountains in particular.

there's certainly something there.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It certainly takes the idea of doing an old-style hex map to a whole new level.

Was going to Rep you...but I gotta spread more of the 'luv around'.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, I need to spread some luvin too
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

*Dorpond Applauds*
    You take the cake for creativity, RobA! I really like the whole idea of raising the hexes to show height! Great idea!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Kinda reminds me of Q-Bert...interesting idea.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast