• about 10 secs

9 36.00%
  • about 20 secs

11 44.00%
  • unusably long time.

4 16.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How fast is this web site

I put Unusably as well. I have a around a 5Meg DSL connection, and it is really slow. So slow I am not even reading most threads. If I fall a day behind I look for titles I recognize and New Member Posts, other than that I click 'Mark all Threads' and move on

Its just too slow otherwise.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Ooooooh, Also, I normally work graveyards so am Accessing at a time when the majority of users are asleep (Read North America), and a few other Notables are normally Working (Torq, Ravs and Others in the GMT time zone range), and it is painfully slow at that time as well.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hmm I thought it was me. I reconfigured my router and Voice box a few weeks ago and got two new computers added onto the network about the same time. Also, the other site I frequent has been slow at the best of times (RPTools forum) and is known to have host and software issues, so I just figured it was something on my network and had not gotten around to looking at it.

Now that I think about it and go to a few non forum sites, they are overall quite snappy compaired to TCG.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The sit is also getting big and the spiders are hitting quite hard. I have occasionally seen 20+ spiders crawling the site on top of actual users, and they tend to be quite agressive.

Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

i watch the online list quite a bit... there are always 20+ search bots and spiders on here...

It may just be a bandwidth issue... but it is definitely server side...

Blog Entries

I could believe that spiders would take it down especially if ripping up all the images and attachments. At least that would be something which is very easy to fix if the site is running on Apache.

Guild Journeyer

I'm betting it's a database issue of some kind. Is there some middleware serving up db requests?

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The sit is also getting big and the spiders are hitting quite hard. I have occasionally seen 20+ spiders crawling the site on top of actual users, and they tend to be quite agressive.
    Does the site have a Robots text file? It would help deal with the spider issue. It would take some of the stress off the servers.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I could believe that spiders would take it down especially if ripping up all the images and attachments. At least that would be something which is very easy to fix if the site is running on Apache.

Yea, I noticed the spiders about 3 weeks ago or so and asked Arcana about it over IM. He said he had just made a few changes to the sites configuration and said he might be doing some further tweaks. We did not get into detail though. It could be he did some other tweaks that might have made things worse, but who knows. Until he pops back online, we really won't know.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I have high-speed cable (Comcast with PowerBoost) and it seems slow to me. Then again, it all depends on network traffic. A good analogy is like this question: "Why do they call the slowest driving time rush hour?" As with a glut of cars on the roads will slow you down in traffic, network traffic will the do the same. It all depends on bandwidth.

If you have eight lanes and all of them are going the same direction, the faster traffic flows. If you split those eight lanes into four going either direction, traffic flows slower in both directions.

What is the bandwidth for the server? Perhaps need to upgrade the bandwidth?

Just some ideas.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast