Thread: World Map Request [Paid, please send me a PM to discuss rates]

Post World Map Request [Paid, please send me a PM to discuss rates]

Hi there!

I am running an RPG campaign for two groups of people. I have been trying to design my own map of this world I have designed, but I just cannot grasp the fundamentals of basic map-making nor am I an artist. I have the basic outline of what I would like the map to look like (It took me four months just to do this). It is layered via Paint Shop Pro 8.0, and I created the landmasses on Campaign Cartography 3 (though they are not saved).

Basically, I would like to add contours and such to the map and also, I would really like a city map for my largest city. I do not have a lot of funds, but I can manage a small sum of money near the 3rd of the month. I would feel really bad not paying someone at least something, for I realize how much work this is.

I don't need it to be professional by any means, but I am just horrible with scaling and terrain elevations. This would be an earth-sized map that I can use to reference for my players. Also, I need a city map for the largest city in my world. I can send you the layered format in Paint Shop or Adobe (I think I did a pretty good job on it...everything is separated and labeled.).

These maps would be used for my campaigns, however, I am writing a book as well. I am perfectly happy to give full credit and payments should my book become published.

Thanks very much for even taking the time to consider this. No hard feelings if you all think this is too much work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Anima 02.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	6437  

What sort of style are you looking at for the map? The current map looks like a standard CC3 style using the supplied bitmaps. Are you looking for this style or something else?

One comment though, the southern continent has a very unrealistic river structure (all flowing from the central lake). Is this a fractured continent?
    It may be worth reading this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2927
    Last edited by Valarian; 09-11-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Looking at the map a bit more, there are some questions regarding the continents and the island formations. The world looks like it could be a fairly young proto-world.

Where about do you see the tectonic plates of the world?
    In which direction are these landmasses moving?
    How did the islands in the north-west and the equatorial east form?
    Last edited by Valarian; 09-11-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Gah! And I thought I had actually thought this out very thoroughly. I really know very little about map making.

I will repost the image with labels to help and where the plate borders are.

I had designed this map primarily for asthetics, so I didn't even think about geographic configuration. Basically, I thought about this in comparison to Earth and how Earth's continents are set up. Island group A used to be a single island until a devastating earthquake hit the region in early times. This earthquake was a result of a meteor impact that happened on the other side of the world...on Continent B, which is indeed a fractured continent. Island Group C was created by underwater volcanic activity.

I don't need anything too detailed. A jpg/bmp/png would suffice for now. There may come a time, however, when I need to get more detailed (when my book is done).

Name:	Map of Anima C.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	6439  

A couple of suggestions based on what you've told me.
    First, I've turned one of the plates slightly to cause a collision with the northern continent. The result would be a mountain range along the join, similar to that of India and Asia.
    Second, the volcano formed group of islands would likely form a chain as the plate crosses a "hot-spot" on the ocean floor.

Let me know what you think. Is this going away from what you want for the map?

Name:	Map of Anima hack.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	6440  

No, that is all right. Thanks so much for the help!

Map

How's this for a start? The contour areas are rough areas for mountains and hills. I'll probably replace these with symbols in the final map, although the layer will still be around. As I get further, I'll switch to PM (if I can attach maps to a PM) or email. The current maps are for general comment ... any others want to throw some suggestions at me?

Name:	Anima.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	707.8 KB 
ID:	6455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anima-No-Ice.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	683.0 KB 
ID:	6456  

Praise

Wow! That is remarkable! It didn't take you very long either! Something like that would have taken me a month!