Thread: Drylake City

Post Drylake City

Here's a city map I made for my campaign that shows the damaged city of Drylake (Angrin), a city ruined by powerful earthquakes, drought and environmental disaster.

Made in photoshop and intended to be an overview rather than a detailed map. There are no labels or scale and I had to get it done quick-style for a game so it's pretty basic without much variation in buildings and stuff. As I'm not intending to update it, I guess it qualifies as a finished map.

Hope you like it.

-- AidyBaby --
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drylake.jpg 
Views:	1317 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	6441  

Quote Originally Posted by AidyBaby View Post
    Here's a city map I made for my campaign that shows the damaged city of Drylake (Angrin), a city ruined by powerful earthquakes, drought and environmental disaster.

Made in photoshop and intended to be an overview rather than a detailed map. There are no labels or scale and I had to get it done quick-style for a game so it's pretty basic without much variation in buildings and stuff. As I'm not intending to update it, I guess it qualifies as a finished map.

Hope you like it.

-- AidyBaby --
    Welcome back! Very nice map. There are a few repeated textures outside the city, but I can overlook that with a city map this nice.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Lovely. It's an excellent city map ... great job!

That is a great map. Makes me wish I had not focused most of my skills into fractal terrain generation and color relief renders. I'm envious.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think this is fantastic! Have some rep! Love the whole look and feel. If this is a quick map for you, would love to see what you came up with if you spent any kind of significant time on it.

It would fit right in with/on my map for this month's challenge.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I think this is fantastic! Have some rep! Love the whole look and feel. If this is a quick map for you, would love to see what you came up with if you spent any kind of significant time on it.

It would fit right in with/on my map for this month's challenge.
    Take a look at the Tutorials. AidyBaby did a "AWESOME" city map tutorial that turned out just freaky super. I "think" it was the city of Gullside or something like that.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Wow amazing job.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

My Gullside city tutorial is here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1035

Hope it is useful for you.

-- AidyBaby --

Blog Entries

Yeah I really like this too. I agree with an earlier poster about the repeating textures tho. From the small thumbnail I thought this map was covered with hexes until it opened. Generally you can fix that real easily by taking a texture and pasting it down into two or better three layers, each with the texture at different scales. They tend to all muddle together and it breaks up the pattern. Obviously those scales should not be multiples of each other so something like a x1, a x1.37 and a x1.72 or something like that should be perfect. Don't do a x1, x2 and a x3 or it will not work. Hope I explained that good enough.

Great to see you back in the forums AidyBaby! That is a very nice city map. I won't bother pointing out the things that others have, and instead I'll just ask for more maps. Welcome back!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.