Thread: Israh Tutorial Issues

Help Israh Tutorial Issues

Greetings all. I posted an initial question about the Israh tutorial. Given the feedback, I gave it another go, but am having continued problems.

Here is the my original. Outside of using a different altitude coloration, things start off great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	70106

Global raise is good too.

Name:	global raise.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	70107

So is basin fill and resetting the Continental Shelf.

Name:	fill basin-shelf.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	70108

Then things start to go a bit wonky. Here are the recommended settings for the first Incise

Name:	Incise setting.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	70109

And here is the result

Name:	Incise1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	70110

And here are the second incise settings per the tutorial

Name:	Incise2 setting.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	457.6 KB 
ID:	70111

With the following results

Name:	Incise2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	70112

As you can see, things looks nothing like

Name:	1-6.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	70113

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? From here things get even wonkier with the incising.
    Last edited by Tyndale; 01-11-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Tyndale, I was baffled at first too when I first found the Israh tutorial. Fear not, it is a simple problem.

On the Fractal Terrains section of the tutorial concerning the Incise Flow Process, the TUTORIAL has the ORDER of the 4 fields different from the current version of Fractal Terrains.

The tutorial lists the values in this order (from left to right since that is how they are listed in the tutorial): Blur/Amount/Flow Exponent/Effect Blend

Fractal Terrains 3 has those same values, but when the little window for the Incise Flow Process opens the fields are in THIS order: Amount/Flow Exponent/Effect Blend/Blur.

You don't have to change anything the tutorial says to do EXCEPT put the numbers in the right order.

For example, in the tutorial it reads: Incise Flow: Select all, 8 / 1 / 0.5 / 1
    So, as far as the tutorial is concerned, 8 = Blur, 1 = Amount, 0.5 = Flow Exponent, and 1 = Effect Blend.

In FT3, you would enter those values (from TOP to BOTTOM) in THIS ORDER: 1/0.5/1/8.

Hope that helps!

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by wthrasherb View Post
    Tyndale, I was baffled at first too when I first found the Israh tutorial. Fear not, it is a simple problem.

On the Fractal Terrains section of the tutorial concerning the Incise Flow Process, the TUTORIAL has the ORDER of the 4 fields different from the current version of Fractal Terrains.

The tutorial lists the values in this order (from left to right since that is how they are listed in the tutorial): Blur/Amount/Flow Exponent/Effect Blend

Fractal Terrains 3 has those same values, but when the little window for the Incise Flow Process opens the fields are in THIS order: Amount/Flow Exponent/Effect Blend/Blur.

You don't have to change anything the tutorial says to do EXCEPT put the numbers in the right order.

So, as far as the tutorial is concerned, 8 = Blur, 1 = Amount, 0.5 = Flow Exponent, and 1 = Effect Blend.

In FT3, you would enter those values (from TOP to BOTTOM) in THIS ORDER: 1/0.5/1/8.

Hope that helps!
    AGHHHHHHHHHH! I bet that is what is killing me too, I just now posted about my own problems.. would this by chance be causing my map to eventually look like someone with a candle dripped wax all over the map instead of the beautiful mountains they get?
    "..the next Riddick movie? It's a wild ride, I hear they're calling it Alice in Underverse."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moriturimax View Post
    AGHHHHHHHHHH! I bet that is what is killing me too, I just now posted about my own problems.. would this by chance be causing my map to eventually look like someone with a candle dripped wax all over the map instead of the beautiful mountains they get?
    If you are talking about the weird little speckled "bumps" the show up in some spots, I haven't quite figured that out yet. I have that issue on some maps and not on others and I am fairly consistent with my process in FT 3. If you could post some examples that would help. Otherwise.....

My Answer for now: yes

Guild Member

Started a different thread after trying the flipping the order thing... if anything it's horribly worse.. when I do that correct order with the 1st incise flow, it kills all my mountains above 6 or 7,000 meters. I have no clue how there are such different results when I follow the tutorial to the letter. It's very discouraging.
    "..the next Riddick movie? It's a wild ride, I hear they're calling it Alice in Underverse."

Guild Member

Tried again, this time skipped the first select all incise flow and did the 2nd incise flow in the correct order for 2500m and up, it absolutely kills the mountains and flattens the whole planet. What the heck???!!

Guild Member

Okay, one more question before I call it a night.. I am having a sneaking suspicion but it doesn't seem like it would make sense.

When you are selecting altitude ranges for incise flow, and the range you enter doesn't actually seem to select anything... and then you run incise flow, does it still do something? As in, it affects the map even though nothing is selected, but there is some kind of math going on that you don't see?

Or is it just simply that if nothing is selected then Incise Flow does nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by wthrasherb View Post

Hope that helps!
    Sorry, but RL caught up with me : ) Thanks for the suggestion, wthrasherb, as that was what I originally thought the issue was. But when I inputted the incise numbers that way, things get even worse than before . I'll try to post pictures this evening.