Thread: New cave map

Default New cave map

Hello everyone, havent been able to make maps for quite some time now and im getting back to it since im starting a new d&d campaign. so i have made a cave map which im hoping i can get some tips on. this is the first time i have tried to make water in my maps so that in particular i would like to hear any suggestions on.

Keep in mind this isnt complete yet but any input will be very nice for the finished product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cave map.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	70145  

Decided to make some adjustments on the original map and make another one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave map 2.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	70172
    Added some columns and made it a bit darker.

Name:	cave map pillars.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	70173

Is this intended for extremely small-scale battlemap use, or just a navigational aid? I'm not sure how it would be used as the former, but it seems a little do dark for the latter. IMO, there should be more contrast in the darkness of the caverns (even if, realistically, the entire thing would be pitch black), just to distinguish it, especially given the slight similarity between the wall and floor textures. The textures themselves are actually really awesome, and I love the water.

this could be used for both i suppose, but my intent is to use it as a battle map. roll20 applies a grid over the map if you assign it to the map layer so i dont need to make a grid for it. i will be using dynamic lighting for this so it will be pitch dark unless they have available light.

im still learning to do shadows and at the moment im mostly fumbling with the burn tool to see what actually works. i appreciate the input though. '
    im fairly satisfied with how it came out. but ill attempt to do some more tweaking to it to make it look better. its supposed to look a bit dark even if you have light since the rock which forms the caves are pretty dark grey/black.

I really like the style of your textures as well as the organic shapes of your layout. It does look a bit dark to me as well, I suppose it depends on how you have your screen set, but that's a simple thing to correct.

thanks for the input, i intended for it to be a bit dark as if the caves had a bit black/dark grey rock but i suppose it doesnt hurt making it a bit brighter.

I quite like that type of texture, and its reasonably easy to make. it gives it a bit of a drawn feel to it. the biggest challenge is putting down shadows and generally using the burn/dodge tool.

Started making a new map now for my ongoing D&D campaign. its a huge map going with 4096x6144 which makes it 6 2048x2048 maps. its meant to be a stronghold of sorts seated in a cave. this is only a basic layout so its likely to change a bit before im finished but i figured i could show you guys and maybe get some ideas while at it.

Name:	Massive map.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	70329

For the entrances to make sense my plan is that the right entrance is in fact on a higher elevation than the other so its used as a sentry post for those inhabiting the cave. essentially its a natural balcony in the cliff side.

Banned User

I would suggest much more color difference between the two types of rock, more like the first image you posted in this thread.

ill experiment a bit with it. at the moment this is just an outline of the shapes with textures smacked on it. i want the floor to be roughly that brightness though so that any details i put on it will be reasonably easy to spot. will also be adding water later and try to get the shapes just right.