Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP - My firts MAP - Photoshop

Banned User

Those little lakes need an outlet that leads eventually to the sea.

As for mountains, yes, you can have parallel mountain ranges. You just shouldn't have perpendicular ones.

Lakes go best along rivers, lagoons are edge of the seashore areas separated from the main ocean only by coral reefs or barrier islands.

You could put the lakes in the high latitudes. Most lakes are formed during the melting of the ice from past glaciations. But another reason why there are so many lakes is because of the permafrost. The ground is always frozen and thus the water accumulates and form lakes instead of going underground or evaporating like they would do were it is hotter. Of course they can always join with the sea but it's impossible to have a depression not filled with water.

For the rivers, it's more a personal taste but I would make them a bit shorter.

I just think it look better.About the lagoon, I've always found this to be a weird place: A desert in Europe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curonian_Spit

Guild Artisan

In keeping your idea of having a large mountain range going NW->SE a realistic possibility is as follows :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	899.3 KB 
ID:	70349

Given your scales we are talking something comparable to Himalayas here but I would rather increase the scale (e.g square side = 400 km) if you want to keep the length of the range.
    The (blue) oceanic/continental plate is colliding with the (red) continental plate and moves in the direction of the blue arrows.

The mountain range is not necessarily a single crest line but can be (at places) formed by 2 or more parallel crest lines with decreasing height (like wrinkles on a carpet that you push).
    So you see, as Chick said, that it is impossible to have a range going off at right angle of this Himalaya because there is no force to create it.

Far from this young and high range (f.ex on the NE side of the continent) you may have low eroded residuals from old mountains that have been created a very long time ago by another plate movement when the plates were different. These can be oriented in whatever direction one wants but clearly separated from the main range.
    In any case this eventual low old residual has nothing to do with the new forces that are shaping the huge and young NW-SE range
    Last edited by Deadshade; 01-25-2015 at 05:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Hello everyone, thank you very much for your help. As I said before, I am not an expert but I've tried to apply some changes according your suggestions. Here is the image with the changes and some questions

Name:	Arreglo relieve N°1.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	70366

Thank you again, and let's work!
    Last edited by Facubaci; 01-25-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Guild Artisan

A parellel mountain yes but quite near to the principal range.
    NE separated. It's an old eroded residual - more high hills than mountains actually. It has been created very long time before the main range started to rise.
    SW mountain not really OK - one can't see what force could have created it. You may have a very short (erosion created) crest forking from the main range towards SW but really short.

Blog Entries

Okey, i did some changes. Now, let see if it is finally right

Name:	Arreglo relieve N°2.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	70367

Banned User

Those mountain ranges look very reasonable! Good job. Now do the rivers so they all run from high ground to the sea, all lakes have outlets, and all rivers join going downstream

Guild Artisan

Perfect !
    Indeed the highest part of the range would be in the NW because it is there that the force of the continent pushing towards NE is highest.
    The plate pushing the NW island would probably subduct so that the heights you Drew there would be volcanoes and not folded ranges like on the continent.
    Everything looks realistic to me.

Ah and like Chick said, beware the river police - they are surely sternly watching you now that you got perfect mountains
    Last edited by Deadshade; 01-27-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Hello and thanks to all again. I changed the place of some rivers according to the new mountains, i would like to know what you think about them, if they are good now. I also highlighted some areas that generate doubt.

Name:	RIVERs.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	70413

I hope your answering!

Guild Artisan

I still find everything perfect.
    No a place like the red oval shouldn't exist. But you can lead the big river in the middle towards east into the red, then make a vast curve, flow to west and finally turn north to go to the ocean.
    Then you change a few tributaries accordingly.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast