Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP - My firts MAP - Photoshop

Guild Artisan

Like Azelor said - long term average 0°C at the pole (and yes it is exactly the pole, e.g Lat 90° and - 90°) is not consistent with an Earth type planet.

It would be possible for a planet much nearer to the sun and/or having a quite powerful green house effect.
    As yours is a fantasy planet, you can impose 0° on the poles. You can actually impose anything you want (on Venus metals boil on the poles ).

But then yours would be an extremely hot and very Earth unlike planet. You could surely NOT impose only 25° on the equator. It would be much closer to 60 or even 80°. Water would almost boil.
    If you want to have an approximately Earth like planet, best is to fix Tp anywhere between -30° and - 50° and then set Te some 60° to 70° above it.

Why do the precipitations follow approximately a \/\ profile in latittude dependence ? Simple thermodynamics.

At equator the temperature is highest. As long as there is water (one could imagine a planet where there are no oceans on equator), the evaporation is highest. And what evaporates must condense.
    So as the hot moist air rises, it expands and cools down. Result are maximum precipitations.

After that the air is moved by the Hadley cell towards the N at high altitude. It rains less and less. Then it starts to go down, compress and warm. Its relative humidity is very low so that precipitations are virtually 0. That happens around 25° N and that's why there are deserts at those latitudes.

Then the next cell will do the same thing farther N. But the difference is that we start relatively dry and we arrive to the temperate regions where temperatures fall so that relative humidity rises. It will rain more but not as much as on equator.

The last leg of the \/\ is quite messy as we approach the pole. The temperatures get extremely cold from what follows that relative humidity is almost 0 and it can't rain (actually snow). Antarctica is by far the driest area on the Earth.

I made a simplified map including the major climatic zones. I should have used a more consistent colour scheme.

I mixed all the Ds climates together (Dsb is the most common). And I also mixed the Csa/Csb (Csa is more common)
    I did not include Cwb because I forgot. The colour represents Cwb I should be located close to Cwa but at higher altitudes.

Good job so far (I like the land shape on this too)!

Blog Entries

Oh thanks, Deadshade. So i'll change the TE to 30ş and the TP would -30ş aprox. It's right? I have put the 0ş on the TP because i don't want to have an extremely cold climate, especially in the northern islands and high lands. But i want to have an earth like climate, so i'll follow your advice. Now i understand the precipitations better.

Azelor, your previously map of the regions' climate was excellent and useful for me. You, guys, understand the climatology better, than me so if i try to desing my regions' climate it would be a mess. I wanted to define the colors of the map you sent by the Koppen system. That's why i maybe did some mistakes.
    Hope you can do the new map of the regions. I can't wait to see it. After that, i'll be near to finish.

And Ilan, thanks very much! You know you're the one who start this proyect one year earlier haha. This is Rovendor, the map you did (with a lot of changes) remember it?

Thanks to all!

Sorry if i answer lately, i'm on holidays on the snow, haha. I'll try to make some sketches of the climatology.
    Last edited by Facubaci; 01-29-2015 at 06:27 PM.

What other map ?

Also, you got snow in Argentina during summer ?

Blog Entries

Ah, sorry. I thought you said you had made some mistakes in the map of the regions you sent and you were going to fix it and do it well in another map. That more consistent color use and place well Csa, Cwb, Cwa and Ds climates. I misunderstood. I will try to fix it for myself applying the changes you forgot / mentioned.

And, where i live in Arg. it does never snow because its always a well climate for cultive, like grassland haha. Here in Mendoza, little bit northern of Patagonia snows a lot in winter but only in the Andes peaks you can find snow.

I suppose I could do that tomorrow.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Facubaci View Post
    So i'll change the TE to 30ş and the TP would -30ş aprox. It's right? I have put the 0ş on the TP because i don't want to have an extremely cold climate, especially in the northern islands and high lands. But i want to have an earth like climate, so i'll follow your advice. Now i understand the precipitations better.

Yes that's quite right and will give an Earth like planet. A bit wamer and wetter but not much.
    You are from Mendoza ? My daughter lives in Buenos Aires.
    When I visited I always thought doing a trip to Bariloche and Nahuel Huapi but never had enough time. I was only on the other side in Temuco.
    Probably one of the nicest places I know and an excellent place to learn to draw realistic mountain ranges for cartography

some places are considered wet despite being surrounded by dry land. This is because they are at higher altitude (require less rain) and receive more rain due to the lower temperatures (it rains when the air cools off)

Attachment 70509

Blog Entries

Great Azelor! Thanks very very much! Now i can define the rainfalls and temperature aprox of each region, animals and plants. Dedicated work, thanks for your time!

No, Deadshade, I’m from Gualeguaychú, Entre Ríos. Well known for its carnival, the most important of Arg. and the third of the world. Now I’m in Mendoza, tomorrow I’ll go to Anconcagua. I went to Bariloche last year with my classmates; it’s simply awesome, the best place I’ve stayed. But the landscapes of Paris, Berlin and Quebec are great, or not? Often they say in Buenos Aires people live quietly than other places, but when I go to Bs As all is fast haha.
    Maybe I’ll put the TE in 25° or 20° and the TP in -35° or -40°. Love the cold weather

I repeat: thanks Azelor! another thing I should give care before continue with the map?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast