Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ***2015 Annual Challenge***

As the person who first mentioned the time-frame issue, I want to offer my small contribution now by saying: while I still think a year is too long, I completely support the CL's plan to run this as is, and see how well it works. As Diamond said:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I agree with Arsheesh. If we debate it endlessly, nothing will get done. Better just to proceed, see what happens, and learn and grow from there.
    THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I hope this is viewed as more of an opportunity to refine one particular idea over a year of time in order to get a great end result. Given the timeframe this means you can ditch entire avenues of approach and try something different.
    That was my thought as well.

Described in that way, it does make a lot more sense too.
    I wasn't originally thinking like that. That would definitely change how I would approach it and what I would try to do.

Annual challenge? Fabulous idea! I'm in.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

This is madness.
    I love it!

I'll say I'm in, but I'm more than likely to forget that this thread exists :c

I came to the guild (years ago ) looking to create a map of a "Campaign Home country" Though I haven't gamed in 2 decades. Sort of for posterity. I haven't as yet had the "Courage " to do more than tinker at it and my indeterminate style hampers the matter even more. This might be a way to nail myself down enough to give it a whirl. Hnmm I'll have to think on it . It is a really big undertaking !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

I have some questions. I don't have a problem with my map being used by CC and what not but I am making my map for use in a book I will hopefully finish some time in the next score of years, will that affect anything?

Second can I submit the map I am currently working on even if technically I started working on it last year. This year I started focusing on the continent I am currently working on so in a way it's new?

Oh and I like the idea of a year, I don't see myself finishing my map in anything less than 8 months, even more if I go back and change things.

Quote Originally Posted by ascanius View Post
    I have some questions. I don't have a problem with my map being used by CC and what not but I am making my map for use in a book I will hopefully finish some time in the next score of years, will that affect anything?

Second can I submit the map I am currently working on even if technically I started working on it last year. This year I started focusing on the continent I am currently working on so in a way it's new?

Oh and I like the idea of a year, I don't see myself finishing my map in anything less than 8 months, even more if I go back and change things.
    You retain ownership of anything you post here at the Guild. By posting your map here it does become available for others to see and download, which is something to consider if this is for a commercial work.

Unfortunately no, you cannot submit a map that you have already begun work on to any challenge. I'm afraid those are the rules. If this were permitted then it would give those who have already begun a project an unfair advantage over those who had not. However, if you wanted, you could create a new alternate version of the map. Say and atlas style or a hand drawn style or whatnot.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

You could enter the contest if you started your map form scratch, keeping only the other as a model. That's maybe what I'm going to do.

Starting from scratch is not a bad idea. Already there are things I want to change. I do however want to keep the general landforms, would I have to change those, same for the plate tectonics

Edit: Never mind I have an old city map that I want to do, I only got so far as a heightmap scetch and some rough painting, I'm going to just redo that. It's was at an early enough state that starting over isn't so.... problematic. I just hope I can find it, I replaced my HD since then and not everything was backed up.
    Last edited by ascanius; 03-04-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast