Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan - Feb Lite Challenge: Make a Pirate's Treasure Map

Post Jan - Feb Lite Challenge: Make a Pirate's Treasure Map

Chick has suggested a challenge subject that was originally posted by GamerPrinter. I also like it so that is what we are going to do.

Jan - Feb Lite Challenge: Make a Pirate's Treasure Map or Walk the Plank ya L'ubber!

Harr, for those who yearn to speak like a proper pirate, this challenge may be for you and your crew! That's right, I'm speakin' of a pirate treasure map, Avast! The likes o' me need that glint of gold to keep us toiling the decks. Show me a treasure map with symbols, riddles or rhymes that tells me how to find this treasure. Thar may be traps and foul beasties on this here map as well.

Makes me an island map with hidden treasure, that be the challenge of this poll!

Harr! ( quoted from GamerPrinter )

If you don't want to come up with your own island shape you can use this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island-1.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	70325
    Not mandatory, you can design your own island shape.

The challenge will run to the 13th of February, then we'll have three (3) days of voting, after which the winner will receive a shiny silver compass.

Please remember to title your threads like this: Jan / Feb 2015 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also don't forget to precede any work-in-progress image with this tag: ### Latest WIP ###
    If you don't put that in, the thumbnail scraper won't pick up your image, and no one will see it when it's time to vote.
    Last edited by Bogie; 02-08-2015 at 11:37 AM.

I guess I'll try my hand at this. I've got a more modern twist to the meaning of 'pirate' I want to exploit...

I'll try and enter this challenge, if I have time. I want to set the personal challenge of completing a map in the shortest amount of time possible, and this challenge might be a good way of testing myself.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I'm new to cartography and I will make my best attempt even with a short period of time left!

Great! That really is the purpose of these challenges, to push your self to do better or learn something new by doing it. It is why we call them "challenges" not "contests". Yes, someone wins, but that isn't the main point for most of us.

Does it have to be an island?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Does it have to be an island?
    The original challenge description by GamerPrinter said "Make an Island Map". But if you have a great idea for a treasure map that isn't an island then I say go for it. It wouldn't be the first time an entry didn't exactly fit the description. In the end it is up to the voters to decide if that is a problem or not, but usually if they like your map they will vote for it regardless of the "rules".

Banned User

Sure glad to see some other people getting into this challenge! I was starting to feel like the loneliest cartographer in town!

And thanks for such a good attitude about flexibility, Bogie! No one likes a stickler for the rules.
    Last edited by Chick; 02-06-2015 at 03:06 PM.

I know it isn't important, but is it worth pointing out that most of the entries this month are titled for 2014's challenge rather than 2015?

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    I know it isn't important, but is it worth pointing out that most of the entries this month are titled for 2014's challenge rather than 2015?

THW
    Thanks for the input, I edited threads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast