Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of Havran

Wip Kingdom of Havran

Here is the latest relief render. Took me, maybe, four days. Don't know, since it is a passion, I don't really care about the time it takes. Of course, I am not finished with it, thus I hope I am posting in the correct area.

This is a one-eighth size picture. For the full scale version, visit this page on my site.

Kingdom of Havran

If anyone wants to use this map, there is a link on the page so you may download the PSD file. I'm not stingy with my works. However, I do ask that you give credit. Otherwise, free to use.

Then you can come back here and make fun of my map.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

arakish, you could post the larger version here, just need to make sure it falls within the size limitations of the uploads (which for most types is around 4MB), and from what I saw on your site the full scale map is well within the limits.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Biggest problem with this type of mapping system is that most of what appears to be river courses gets covered over by what appears to be ocean, sea, and coastal waters. Currently, I am drawing in the rivers that are on the land parts and is proving to be a headache. Look at the terrain and you can see where the rivers run.

But wouldn't you like to see the rivers instead of imagining them?

I would love some pointers on software (preferably free) that can find these river runs and draw them for me. I have been experimenting with height field plainers, but they ain't working too good.

With either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro (psd & psp, respectively) I can easily draw in roads, cities, towns, et. al.

Anyone know of anything that can analyze terrains and draw rivers?

rmfr

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

The most recent release of WIlbur can do a flow analysis and threshold it to rivers for you. It would require a heightmap of some sort to start rather than an image, though. http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html if you'd like to try it.

Sorry, been gone for a while, combo of RL, math course where the vicious math instructor assigns, literally, 200+ math problems for homework, and my school account has been hacked by some sorry... ...no good for nothing... ...nobody who wants access to math skills... ...and he wants them without learning them as I have done...

In other words... I have to go around and change my keycodes everywhere...

rmfr

P.S. - as a certain cinematic cyborg once said, "I'll be back..."

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The most recent release of WIlbur can do a flow analysis and threshold it to rivers for you. It would require a heightmap of some sort to start rather than an image, though. http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html if you'd like to try it.
    Thanks for the input. I'll give a try.

rmfr

Wilbur refuses to even open on my system. I closed (actually did not get choice since it did not open) Wilbur. Even uninstalled Wilbur. Later reinstalled, and still won't open. I dloaded the latest version, but nothing happens.

Any help? (On a program that will trace rivers from source to arbitrary chosen height limit?)

rmfr

BTW: I am running Windows Vista. Do have an older computer using Windows XP.

rmfr

How does it not open? Is there an error message?

When I did version checking, it was running on a all of the machines that I have: Win2k, WinXP (SP3), WinXP64, Vista (and I'll do Vista64 one of these days).

The only thing I can think of offhand is that you might have obtained the 64-bit version and are trying to run it on a 32-bit system.

After 2xClick on Wilbur, I get the hourglass for a second, then nothing. I mean absolutely nothing. No error messages of any kind. When I run Task Manager, it isn't listed in either tasks or processes.

I'm going to give it another try tonight by dloading a fresh copy and installing. Will let know what happens.

rmfr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast