Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valgard

Default Valgard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valgard-Mapv3.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	70370

Valgard has long been a pet project for me, and a true education in world building. While this map will never be truly finished since the world is constantly evolving; this iteration is by far the most complete and comfortable representation I've ever had. For that reason, however; not every point of interest has a corresponding label- not everything on the map is something that has been covered in my still unfolding story. Valgard is a world still pregnant with potential.

A bit about the world- Valgard is meant to be a fantasy world. What you see here is the world as it is. While it is meant to be a plausible place for humans to live, it still exists in the realms of imagination. Valgard is a meant to be a planet smaller than earth, though with wider temperate zones and few places with truly harsh and unlivable environments. (If someone wants to figure out the science for this, no problem! But again this wasn't a primary concern). There exists a shadow to this world, The Nevereach, which is a plane of existence where chaotic energy flows, and otherworldly beings live. Not an evil place, but a topsy-turvy realm where logic and order have no hold. The world's aesthetic is that of conflicting forces- the rise technologies like airships clash with ancient crafts. Art deco flare meets with high fantasy.

This has been a long journey and the physical representation of this world started here at the Cartographer's Guild. I cant thank the folks here enough for the guidance they have lent me. Many iterations of this map have surfaced, along with some indecisiveness on my part. I finally settled to return to basics on this map because that is where my gut ultimately took me. This last iteration is not unlike my first- and so I have come full circle. What's more I am entirely pleased and truly feel this map is what it should be.

Thank you!

Banned User

Gorgeous coloring!

Thank you so much! I spend a ridiculous amount of time playing with those sorts of things!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Awesome, man. Awesome. I'm so glad you went back to the black color scheme - the whole thing is fantastic. Your color choices just look amazing together. I tried to mimic this style with one of my pieces and couldn't come close to this.

Great job.

Thanks so much Diamond! You've always been a great help!

Wow, now this is something different! My hat off to you sir.

Ah, so this is the final iteration? I remember all the different versions of this one I still think that the forests are too dark and not green enough (hard to recognize it is supposed to be forests that way). And what is that....a wall on the western continent?
    But i agree, this has a very different but awesome feel overall. It has a bit of a cartoony style, imo. Especially the mountains.

Any chance for some info on the world itself? What kind of setting is it?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Dang man! I remember this from ages ago. It has always stood out to me for its colour choices and the look and feel It is great to see it finished!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Thanks folks! I really appreciate the feedback!

I'm more than happy to expound on some of my initial description. I'd hesitate to call it strictly high fantasy as there are decopunk (and SOME steampunk and atomicpunk) elements to it. Most of what defines the western half of the world is an event called Impact that ravaged an island settled by inhabitants of the Nevereach, which I described earlier. It has since spewed out a miasma that is partially blocked off by a wall on its west side. To the eastern front, people have to deal with the miasma creeping in which has- over the centuries- caused great political turmoil. Recently big technological discoveries have also exploded, causing even more instability. People are getting hit from all sides, but seem to be managing to hold it together due to the new possibilities that have arisen. In the East, things are much more stable and have a really comfortable progression. The East is used to being princes of the world, but are starting to have to defend that position with new visitors from the west. But they can more than easily hold their own. Meanwhile in the Nevereach there are rumblings from an ancient foe. In the world magic exists but it comes at random. People who are "touched" by the Nevereach can gain magic powers, and it is wildly unpredictable what becomes of them.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected TT1's Avatar

*bump*

I loved this one. I really want to know and read more about it. Man, I LOVE art deco. You got me in this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast