Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fenridge Castle

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it so far, the shadows are a little much for me, but that's a preference thing, not a knock on your work.

Was curious as to why such an irregular shape to the 'southern walls', is it due to the terrain?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

I agree about the shadows, they need work.

The odd shape comes from using random data to find a suitable 'site', and then a mesh flattening process I figured out. I thought the odd south part would be a green space fed by grey water from the castle. A ramp will run thru it to provide access to the castle.

Guild Journeyer

Wip

The chicken thing had to go...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fenridge00.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	6564  

Blog Entries

This is cool and much better a design. I saw a map of a castle a lot like this with the old keep on the hill and extensions had to be in a separate enclosure so its not unheard of to have this sort of arrangement. Usually you would have a drawbridge connecting the two so gatehouses either sides across the chasm would be a good idea.

Guild Journeyer

Good to know you approve Redrobes!

Views:	48 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	6603  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far. Not sure what the scale is supposed to be, but you may want to consider resizing the texture you're using on the towers, etc. It seems a little oversized, but that might just be me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Honestly I liked the old one, but the new look appeals to me. I agree with the drawbridge idea, but I hope you do some more work on it (it's still better than what I can do >.>) What is the cluster of buildings in the bottom right? They seem a little too uniform for such an enclosed space. Oh I hope you include some siege engines (trebs, catas, ballista, etc) somewhere

I love castle maps, and really wish there were more WIPs going on in our CWBP. I guess I should work on that but I'm still tweaking my region map and trying to figure out how to make a city/town map.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Blog Entries

Don't forget that there should be a road going into the castle somewhere and that would also mean a gatehouse with strong towers holding the portcullis and other defenses.

Its unlikely that the road would go into the keep side because of the ditch there, otherwise the keep would have more likely have been on that right side. The keep is always the last stand - the most protected part of the castle and therefore behind all the other defenses like the ditch and draw bridge.

The road does fix down some of the castle architecture so its a good idea to get it in on the earlier side. You tend to find that the poorer parts of a town are at the entrance to the town along the road and it gets more upmarket as you get closer to the keep. Usually, houses inside the walls were much better than outside.

Guild Journeyer

*bang* *clatter* *toil*

Views:	58 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	6672  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12