Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Downloading Images

Even if you have a T3 connection at work (44.736 Mbps) that is still going to be shared by everyone driving the effective bandwidth down a bit, but it will still be faster than most home fiber connections that are 10 Mbps. Do you know how fast your actual connection at home is? You might want to try a speed test both at home and at work.

Here's mine from work. When I get home tonight I'll run another so we can compare.

Oh... I forgot to address the slow down issue. How fragmented is your hard drive? Have you run an anti-malware scan?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

RP, here's my results from my test @ work, we are well beyond a T3 (I can't remember exactly what it's called). I'll run another test from home this afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpeedTest-Work.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	6513  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If you are well beyond a T3 than that speed test says you have a crappy download speed since it is a little over half a T3's speed and your upload is horrible for being faster than a T3. That looks more like a commercial fiber speed actually. Of course, it could be a fractal T3 that increase bandwidth as needed. That is very likely as well.

Anyway, as you can see your work bandwidth is 20x faster than mine which is screaming so the pages should definitely be loading very snappy. However, don't forget that we are also restricted to the host's bandwidth as well. I'm not sure what GoDaddy's pipe is, but I'm assuming that since CG is on a shared server the pipe is also shared so we may not be able to pull as much data as we could. Plus the ISPs could throttle bandwidth as well which would slow things down some.

I think we should also do pings and trace routes to the site to compare as well. Here are mine from work. Note: I blocked out my IP address just to be safe.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	6514  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I run a defrag on my home PC on a 1x/week schedule, I'll check it once I get out of work.

Unfortunately the corporate firewall won't let me run a PING or TRACERT from work, but I'll try from home.

Hmmm...the summary from SPEEDTEST says I'm faster than 99% of the country downloading and faster than 98% uploading... at least from work... but then working for a major telecommunications company does have to have some advantages.

OK, here is the results of my SpeedTest (~ 15MB down/1.5MB up) and the PING & TRACERT from my home PC

Name:	SpeedTest-Home.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	6525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ping.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	6527  
    Last edited by Steel General; 09-16-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ah, yea. Sorry, I forget about that far too often. I guess that is an advantage to being the admin.

Not sure why, but today things are like they used to be. The only thing I did 'out of the ordinary' was "reboot" my router, maybe that's all I needed.

I completely forgot to do my tests last night. I'll try to remember to grab them tonight. Last night was my bi-weekly game so I was a bit distracted. LOL

You work for a telco and that was the speedtest result?!?!

Yea, they must be throttling their internal bandwidth which makes a lot of sense actually. Your home results are definitely on par with fiber except that upload speed is a bit sucky. It almost looks like ADSL or a satellite connection.

Regardless, it sounds like you got everything zipping along again. Rebooting the router probably reset your dynamic routing tables and closed any open ports that hemorrhaging packets. If you are on a shared network, you can have that happen quite often and that would also reflect the much lower upload speed as well. If you are not on a shared network I would definitely do a full system scan for malware and probably viruses, but definitely malware. That garbage likes to open idle ports and use them for whatever they do. That can beat down your bandwidth over time pretty easily.

Well that test I did from work was to a server in Dallas and I'm in Indiana so that may have had something to do with it. But I would guess your correct in that they're throttling the bandwidth. I think one of the network guys told me we have multiple OC3's? out of our building.

I regularly run virus scans on my home PC so I'd be surprised if it was that, but the malware is something I hadn't considered.

OC3?!?! Yea, OC-3 runs at 155 Mbps vs T3 at 45 Mbps. Makes sense since they are a telco.

Yea, I actually deal with malware issues a whole lot more than viruses. These days if you just stay on top of your virus definition updates it's pretty hard to get infected, but malware is a different animal and honestly I think malware has essentially become a new form of virus, but Symantec still insists on a differentiation between the two and I agree at the technical level just not at the realistic/functional level.

The whole problem that started this thread seems to have disappeared...

I can now download images locally without corruption. If it happens again, I'll post up a sample in zip format.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast