Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Downloading Images

That is good to hear. And nothing changed on your end as usual? That's always fun to troubleshoot.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The whole problem that started this thread seems to have disappeared...

I can now download images locally without corruption. If it happens again, I'll post up a sample in zip format.

-Rob A>

Sorry about the threadjack RobA...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Still a problem. I discovered whenever I try to save an image from this website using FF3 either by right clicking Save-as, Save Link As, or go to the page properties and save the image from the media tab, it actually saves a copy of the main page html giving it the image filename. (I opened one of the "corrupt" images in a hex editor and saw this immediately...)

Not a problem with IE.

I disabled ALL ff add-ons and still have the same problem. I am flummoxed!

-Rob A>

What if you click through the image first to get it rendered on screen?

I believe you are running into the programming behind the site. There is some server side stuff that a render request runs through so when you just follow the link you are getting the code instead. IE works because it is broken. I know that doesn't make sense, but basically IE makes all kinds of assumptions and "helps you" by ignoring what you are doing and giving you what it thinks you want. This causes problems on other sites unfortunately.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Even if I click through to an image so it is the only thing on the page.... the URL is something like
    Code:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6548&d=1221713357
    and firefox says it is a JPEG, at whatever x whatever, and displays it fine. Just when I try to save it as a file it borks up.

-Rob A>

That is really strange...

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well...are you saving it as a .jpg? Maybe you have hide extensions for known file types enabled and so you only think you're saving it as jpg, but its actually ending up as .jpg.php? hehehe I dunno...thats freakin weird.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

freakin being a technical term of course.

I don't know if this will help but have you seen this page, RobA?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_...download_files
    Last edited by Turgenev; 09-19-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123