Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Height Map Request [Thaminor]

The second one was a very quick generation and it's just the default Wilbur renderer. I couldn't go quite as heavy-handed on the erosion and still ensure that the rivers end up in the right place. The river network in the lower right is physically impossible and if you look closely at the second image, you'll see that even though rivers are following the specified channels, there are a few breaks where the flow agents had to switch directions get be able to follow their prime directive of "go downhill". Pushing more erosion would likely have resulted in the elimination of some channels as happened in the first one.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The forced river process is detailed at http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=29412 in volume 4. .
    Ah OK, thanks !
    I somehow missed this one Vol 4. Was it in the original collection of tutorials (which I have) or was it added later ?
    In any case it works nicely.

It's been there for a long time. They are numbered not for any particular sequence of ideas, but because I am really bad at naming things but can often work an integer sequence.

The forced river process is detailed at http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=29412 in volume 4. The masks that I used are shown below:
    Attachment 70518 Attachment 70519 Attachment 70520

The idea is to load the left one as a selection and use it for a mound on the coastline to give a general slope to the whole area (clip it if you don't want unsightly ridgelines). Then load the river mask and add a mound based on that selection (or just add a constant; the idea is to impress the rivers onto the underlying surface). Then load that rightmost (mountain) mask and add altitude through it. Finally, load the basic coast mask and then do noise followed by lots of precipiton erosion and possibly noise/basin fill/incise flow groups.

I also started at 512x512 resolution, did noise/precipiton and noise/basin fill/incise flow, resampled to the next power of 2 and repeated. This scale-and-filter technique ensures a fractal result. At the end, dropping everything by a few percent of altitude converts the smooth original coastline into a more crinkly one.
    very interesting workflow, makes me want to play with wilbur

Ah, thanks so much waldronate. You have helped me tons and tons. I am also sort of glad that this thread was helpful to others.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to be of assistance.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to be of assistance.
    Perhaps I am pushing it here, but would it be difficult to put the name of the lands on the coloured map?

Labels? Ewwwww...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaminor2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	70542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaminor3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	70543

The font is Harrington, which may or may not be helpful. I didn't include a scale, or compass rose because I don't have enough info on scale, location, or projection to determine if those would be valuable. The border may or may not be to your taste.

Labels? Ewwwww...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaminor2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	70542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaminor3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	70543

The font is Harrington, which may or may not be helpful. I didn't include a scale, or compass rose because I don't have enough info on scale, location, or projection to determine if those would be valuable. The border may or may not be to your taste.
    I like the border
    The map is oriented so north is at the top and the south is at the bottom.

I am not even sure how to give you scale to be honest, I am not sure what would even count as a good measure for the distance if the top were at the Arctic Circle and the Bottom at the equator?

Googled it: 10,000 Miles X 10,000 Miles looks like a decent size of the map overall. idk, maybe not.

You are right, the only label I like is the "Thaminor".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12