Thread: Height Map Request [Thaminor]

Help Height Map Request [Thaminor]

Here is a rough sketch I made of the map a while back:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thaminor.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	986.2 KB 
ID:	70445

I searched for quite a while one day seeking to recreate this doodle into a heightmap to import into World painter and add a new world to my minecraft server. After many not so useful guides or none impressionable outcomes to heightmapping I came across this guide. I was shocked at the stunning details and amazed by it to say the least. I set out following the guide to-the-t and ended up with a monstrosity that was best suited to live out its life in the garbage bin.

So for style, I am looking for something similar to the heightmap in Eriond.
    I will go for professional to semiprofessional as long as it goes into world painter well and looks halfway decent.
    I would like for it to be 4096 X 4096px smaller is alright but I will have to scale it and I am not sure about distortion. So I am guessing I am looking for Vector but I am not sure how doable that is.

One the note of copyright, you can do anything with it you want, as long as you do not claim the idea of Thaminor or the lands therein as your own idea.

If you want to contact me please use the following email address and post here that you sent me an email.

GalvinNerth--at--gmail.com
    (remove the -- and convert "at" to @)

I too have produced a monstrosity ( I should probably have used a better quality compression ).

Name:	Thaminor1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	991.6 KB 
ID:	70452

Let me know if you would like the associated height map.

Guild Artisan

It's far from being monstruous Waldronate .
    I would have removed the mountains along the N , NW and NE coast which look unnatural (even if they are shown on the original map) but clearly Wilbur shows here its strength which is to have magnifique erosion and river patterns.
    For one who knows the right settings of course

Btw what is the technique you used to force the valleys to go (almost) exactly on prescribed locations ?

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I too have produced a monstrosity ( I should probably have used a better quality compression ).

Name:	Thaminor1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	991.6 KB 
ID:	70452

Let me know if you would like the associated height map.

I was not really even expecting a response to this so quickly, I am actually kind of impressed. It is much better than mine. As I was kind of worried, the rivers aren't going to go where I had them drawn are they?

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by GalvinNerth View Post
    As I was kind of worried, the rivers aren't going to go where I had them drawn are they?
    Well actually those you put on your map go on Waldronate's map exactly where you wanted them to go.
    It's because I find that feat hard in Wilbur that I asked Waldronate how he did it.

Of course there are dozens more rivers that you have not on your map but which would be there if this was a real world.

I am interested in seeing the heightmap.

The full map is 8MB, unfortunately, Here's a 2048x2048 version of the 16-bit PNG heightmap.

Name:	base2048.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	70517

The forced river process is detailed at http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=29412 in volume 4. The masks that I used are shown below:

Name:	coast.gif 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	70518 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river.gif 
Views:	47 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	70519 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtn.gif 
Views:	54 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	70520

The idea is to load the left one as a selection and use it for a mound on the coastline to give a general slope to the whole area (clip it if you don't want unsightly ridgelines). Then load the river mask and add a mound based on that selection (or just add a constant; the idea is to impress the rivers onto the underlying surface). Then load that rightmost (mountain) mask and add altitude through it. Finally, load the basic coast mask and then do noise followed by lots of precipiton erosion and possibly noise/basin fill/incise flow groups.

I also started at 512x512 resolution, did noise/precipiton and noise/basin fill/incise flow, resampled to the next power of 2 and repeated. This scale-and-filter technique ensures a fractal result. At the end, dropping everything by a few percent of altitude converts the smooth original coastline into a more crinkly one.

The rivers didn't end up in exactly the same place as you had drawn them due to how I did some of the intermediate steps. The first step (altitude directly away from coasts) establishes a baseline slope that messes with the final river configuration. Eliminating this step and using the river mask for most erosion steps can give a result similar to that below. I didn't treat the big lake in the south end to get it to appear as water or do any of the other fancy multi-layer Photoshop tricks that I did in the first one.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	871.4 KB 
ID:	70524

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The rivers didn't end up in exactly the same place as you had drawn them due to how I did some of the intermediate steps. The first step (altitude directly away from coasts) establishes a baseline slope that messes with the final river configuration. Eliminating this step and using the river mask for most erosion steps can give a result similar to that below. I didn't treat the big lake in the south end to get it to appear as water or do any of the other fancy multi-layer Photoshop tricks that I did in the first one.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	871.4 KB 
ID:	70524
    I think the first one looks ten times more natural and better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast