Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *** February 2015 challenge*** Evolving map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Similar but not the same, the key word here is evolving

Max, does it have to be two separate maps, or is it allowed to include several maps in the same "map", long as you make the evolutionary part clear?

For example, would it be allowed to make a modern city map where several elements from other eras remain. Perhaps a part of the town haven't changed since the 1700th century, another since 1800 etc. And then, to make the evolutionary theme more evident, buildings of importance from the different eras could be mapped on the side. Much like Dain did in this wonderful map http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...0&d=1370495158

Cheers,
    Tainotim

The challenge says that you have to make at least two differents maps to show the evolution so I would say it won't work.

I see, than I imagine that something akin to Djekspeks beautiful map (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...ek-d6r2r9v.jpg) wouldn't be allowed either. That kind of limits the artistic possibilities of the challenge. Oh well!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

I don't think the artistic possibilities are really limited, you probably have to find a good idea for it

One way to get multiple versions in one file is with an animated gif, like so:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animeDanetianMigrations.gif 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	70721

That's the movement of ethnic groups across the continent of Danetia, world of Aurora-- red lines are /present day' national borders. The white that comes and goes is glaciation of this planet's minor but frequent ice ages.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey JB, any idea where to get a free (or reasonably cheap) GIF animation program?

I think the free 'starter version' of Serif's PhotoPlus will save as an ani .gif. I use the full-up version - it isn't terribly expensive. The site is something like freeserifsoftware.com - they give away fully functional older or lightweight versions as a teaser to buying the full ones.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thank you sir!

You're welcome. Actually I was poking around in The Gimp today and noted it can save animated gifs too. And you can't beat Gimp's price! Never tried it so I don't know the workflow... Anybody done animated gifs in Gimp? It doesn't have to be a complicated movie- flipping back and forth between two eras would serve our purpose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12