Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concetron (City Designer 3)

Wip Concetron (City Designer 3)

---------------------
    EDIT: I did a new version of this map:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...3309#post43309
    ---------------------

Hi all,

I have been lurking on this forum for some time now, admiring your beautiful creations

Now that City Designer 3 has been released I wanted to share a WIP on a city map I am creating. Mostly to show you what a great piece of software this is!

This is my first map created with City Designer and I am very content with the way it's shaping up. The map is not entirely finished: it needs more farms and fishing villages outside the walls and some labeling.

It's based on the city of Concetron, the capital of a fantasy world I have created (I'm trying to write some novels). The city and surrounding villages are supposed to hold 30.000+ people. In the south, where the canals are located, is the "Old town". The canals are hardly used anymore now that there is a sizable harbor. The palace is the walled enclave in the middle and the large square to the north lies in the middle of the new merchant district. In the southeast is a district called "Rats Quarter" and it is where most of the poor people live.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concetrongroot_def.jpg 
Views:	1363 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	6547  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-06-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Oh my bloody word! Have some rep for the sheer amount of effort you must have put into making that map! Oh and welcome to the Guild, and do post an introduction in the introductions forum and tell us a bit more about yourself

Guild Journeyer

Wow thats great. Doing this stuff to support your writings is good idea. I'm following the same route. It's good research and helps keep continuity.

was this picture rendered in various pieces? There seems ato be a slight misalignment along the central building and off to the left and along the fortification walls of a few pixels.

anyhow - very nice - very immersive!

Yes, you are right. Creating this map has already given me some great ideas for story enhancement

My computer is a few years old and with this many houses City Designer just gets too slow. So I rendered a few pieces and then put them all together (and a bit shoddy I have to admit, I will correct that in a future version).

I admire the work that must have gone into this map. Considering that CD3 is a week old,.. did you sleep much?

If your permit me a few critics i'd go like this:

1- If you placed you vegetation on a seperate sheet, i'd cut the length of the shadows a bit;
    2- There is far too few trees and space and parks and special features and special buildings, etc. There must be a castle or fortress in there somewhere. I'd suggest not using the CD3 provided buildings for those and i would draw then in black fill.
    3- For a very dense and fortified city like this one seems to be, i might have gone with a more dense development with buildings stuck together.

But that might not be the look you were going for so...it's all well.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, enough to reconsider picking up CD3, looking forward to seeing more.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Jeebus that is a sweet map. I am ashamed to say I have yet to really play with CD3
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Holy Rings of Saturn Gandwarf! Great first post. Lovely (an immense) city map. I love city maps but because of the effort they take to make most people confine themselves to settlements that are smaller than they should be. CD3 looks very interesting. Congrats for doing a city in the scale it should be done.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Patrakis View Post
    I admire the work that must have gone into this map. Considering that CD3 is a week old,.. did you sleep much?

If your permit me a few critics i'd go like this:

1- If you placed you vegetation on a seperate sheet, i'd cut the length of the shadows a bit;
    2- There is far too few trees and space and parks and special features and special buildings, etc. There must be a castle or fortress in there somewhere. I'd suggest not using the CD3 provided buildings for those and i would draw then in black fill.
    3- For a very dense and fortified city like this one seems to be, i might have gone with a more dense development with buildings stuck together.

But that might not be the look you were going for so...it's all well.

Pat
    Hi Pat,

Thanks for your comments.
    1. I am adding vegetation outside the city right now, so I will "play" with the shadows a bit.
    2. The city has almost no trees, that is correct. Most of the trees in this world have been cut down and there are small wars being fought over them. So trees and parks are luxuries even the rich cannot afford (or the poor would cut down for fuel and stuff). I admit there are too few special buildings, I will add some in the future. Also the city has seen a LOT of refugees in the last years because of fighting to the south, so spaces that were unused are now packed with buildings.
    3. I am going to create a real fortress city after this map and I will keep your comment in mind. Concetron is not really a fortress city. It has city walls and some fortresses, but it's not really defendable (there is far too much wall for the few hundred soldiers the city maintains).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast