Thread: Red Seal Merchant Ship - 3D model

Post Red Seal Merchant Ship - 3D model

Getting further inspired to develope a marketable campaign world, based on my Archean Trade League - September Challenge Map entry.

The map compelled me to create the gazeteer, then an adventure, and after some research in Wikipedia, I decided to bring a Japanese invasion to the Archean Straits.

Below is a 3D model I just created using Nichimen Nendo and Raydream Studio of a Japanese Red Seal Merchant Ship. I created this based on a 17th century print of this ship. Some of the yard arms don't line up with the sails perfectly and I didn't place any yards or ropes that you'd find holding the sails in place or supporting the masts - I should have drawn them in, but I didn't.

Very interesting things about it.

First of all the ship has a cargo capacity of 500 tons, which makes it as large as a Spanish Galleon. This ship is armed, I'm guessing the guns are mounted in those side mounted cages on the ship. Regarding those side cage structures - they are remarkably similar in structure and placement to "rock drops" structures found on Japanese castles. I'm sure they were built for the same purpose in mind.

Of the Japanese design of this ship - I love the extreme arch of the deck, something seen on older Japanese ship designs and on arched bridges (the kind that cross rivers, just upsidedown.) Also that strange open area under the foc'sle, and at the stern of the ship - bizarre to have a deck at that level on the bow of the ship. The 17th century print showed people on that deck.

Red Seal Merchant Ships were the last of their kind, prior to Japan closing itself from the world, in 1636, until Commodore Perry's visit in the mid 1800's.

As a measure to control Japanese piracy, the Shogunate created the Red Seal Ship System. Any Japanese ship that did not have the official Red Seal charter could be considered a pirate ship and denied access to foreign ports. Also Red Seal ships were under the Shogun's protection, such that any vessel assaulting a Red Seal Ship, was declaring war on the Shogunate.

Another thing, this is a transitional ship, as far as ship's architecture goes. This ship incorporated western technologies. Notice the top sails above those distinctly oriental main sails, as well as the square sail on the mizzen mast to the rear of the ship, and that fore sail at the bow - these were borrowed ideas from Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and English ships to improve speed. So the Japanese were borrowing technologies even back then.

This is the main type of ship, I plan to use as my invasion force on Archea.

I talk abit more of what I intend to do in my "Baronton Wharf" thread in the VT forum.

What do think of my creation for the day?

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red-seal-merchant-ship.jpg 
Views:	2171 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	6548  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-18-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool GP, you're on a roll lately.

"Want...to...rep...you...cannot...must rep...others...first..."
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Yeah, I'm in the same boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Very cool GP, you're on a roll lately.

"Want...to...rep...you...cannot...must rep...others...first..."
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat (so to speak) - I just Repped Arcana, and I need to Rep 9 more different people, until I can Rep those I've repped before! I'm trying to spread the love!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yay another 3d model! Nice work GP...

I especially like the sail material and the "bars" on the front...neat concept.

My only feedback really would be that the wood texture for some reason seems to not be scaled properly...The grain makes it seem more like a small model of a ship than a large ship...Thats nit-picky though.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Post Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Yay another 3d model! Nice work GP...

I especially like the sail material and the "bars" on the front...neat concept.

My only feedback really would be that the wood texture for some reason seems to not be scaled properly...The grain makes it seem more like a small model of a ship than a large ship...Thats nit-picky though.
    I thought I used a wooden planks texture, but it turned out to be one board, so I ought to change that - easy fix.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Texture improvement

OK, changed the ship's texture to something more like planking - not perfect, but - improvement?

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red-seal-merchant-ship1.jpg 
Views:	1023 
Size:	268.4 KB 
ID:	6562  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think the texture on this latest one is much better, but I kinda liked the color/shade of your original decking/planks.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yes much better...this texture is much more japanese looking to me than the brownish one, BUT I prefered the brown too...hehehe.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin