Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To Grid or Not to Grid that is the problem! (AND your little furniture too) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I do have a small amount of maps and map objects sets being sold on DTRPG, but it is currently limited to 3 products. Once I get the bulk of my map tutorial books writing done, I will be releasing more map object sets, map sets, and other products over the course of the year. I operate under Gamer Printshop as my publisher name. You can visit my product page here.
    That's great. I'll check them out. One can never have enough maps for gaming

Quote Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
    The time difference comes during play. Moving one knife off that table is a matter of a few clicks. But if the whole table gets kicked over, that's not just one knife. If it's set four 4 people, it'll likely have 4 cups, 4 plates, 4 knives, 4 forks, 3-4 serving dishes, salt and pepper shakers, a candle or two, maybe placemats if it's nicer than the stereotypical adventurer bar. All in the own separate layers, all requiring a few seconds to move. Those seconds really add up, and every one of them would be time spent on detail that doesn't matter much, and taken away from players doing things.
    I doubt I move that much stuff, maybe a weapon from one place to the floor (after a disarm or something).

During play, I'd say most likely for me is figures being moved (obviously), maybe furniture from time to time, and the placement of magic items, chests, weapons and armour. As you say, opening and closing doors is very important.

I have a map pin in my VTT that I can use to mark GM notes etc.

I just like the flexibility to re-use maps and re-use furniture as much as possible.

I DM a weekly group using Fantasy Grounds. While I don't put put grids on my maps when I make them in Photoshop (and probably won't start), there will always be a "key" square somewhere on the map that a person could use as a guide to put a grid down. My maps are always designed for a 50x50 pixel grid, so my key square is 50x50.

Note: If you've used Fantasy Grounds, you know exactly why I don't put a grid on my maps, and why I use that key square. Fantasy Grounds creates the grid for you (sort of).

I've shied away from using an object empty map and then putting my objects (tables, chairs, etc) on the Fantasy Grounds layer below the player's tokens, because I've got a player on the other side of the planet and bandwidth isn't always great. I was afraid too many tokens + objects to download would be a problem. I may have to revisit that idea though. We may at least try it one session.

I use Maptool. I love it. For that reason I hate maps with grids, and I prefer no furniture.
    Webmaster and head designer of The World of Farland: A World conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin.

www.farlandworld.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123