Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Port Mahon (I copy an 18th century map to practice)

Wip Port Mahon (I copy an 18th century map to practice)

I like this style, so I'm trying to copy it as closely as possible.

Original map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puerto de Mahon (distortion correct).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	70911

My WIP so far:

Name:	Port Mahon 01a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	70913

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

This is definitely a nice exercise to improve your general effects and coloring skills. Try to expand the practice one step further, and once you learn the style, try to create your own unique map using the same style. This is a great way to learn the features of your editor for sure though. I have done countless step by step tutorials from Lynda.com to learn some nice features.

Nice efforts so far!
    Cheers
    Capt.JH

Thanks!

That's exactly my idea. I want to get some skills for coastal maps in particular.

I know nothing about Lynda; where would you recommend to begin with it?

Very smart idea Mapeando! I will definitely follow this one to see how it turns out

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Next I have to do the Marlborough Redoubt, the hills, and the sea. And a few more names. I suppose I should also add some paper texture.

The only thing that I'm not sure are those waves. With Want Tool & Expand/Contract selection I might be able to do something similar I guess.

Name:	Port Mahon 01h.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	514.9 KB 
ID:	70923

This looks great! I started off by colouring fantasy maps from books I liked, and it really helps you learn the basics without being overwhelmed at the start.

With the waves, if you can find a suitable pattern, you could do a pattern fill on the sea area? This one might do ...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1191908861

It's from this thread, where there are quite a few other patterns too ...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...p?t=724&page=2

Wow, excellent idea. I'll try those patterns.

I've initially tried to mimic the waves in the way I said above and the problem is doesn't look round, it's too artificially angled. Also, I've faded the sea because in the original it was so dark I could barely read some of the island names.

Oddly, after writing down the whole "References" key, I've failed to locate most of the corresponding letters in the original map!!

Name:	Port Mahon 01p.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	70933

Yeah, the sea in the original map has an almost spider's web look to it in some places. I like it better when it's slightly faded as you've done it. The angled lines aren't quite so obvious, but perhaps a more rounded look would be better. I suppose it depends on how true to the original you want to be.

Your map is coming together beautifully!

After several attempts with the sea, I think I'll just go for an "shadow" effect similar to the green shore. Though perhaps I should fade it a bit. I like some of those patterns you suggested but they do not seem to match the general style of this map.

Name:	Port Mahon 01t.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	70944

Don't know, I think you were on to something in your post with the sea pattern. Perhaps not perfect, but it worked (And personally I preferred it a lot more than your last post). Have you considered trying a combination of the two?

This really is coming along nicely.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast