Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meerzicht (City Designer 3)

Post Meerzicht (City Designer 3)

-----------------
    UPDATE:
    I did a new version of this map:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?p=44108
    -----------------

Ok, so I am leaving Concetron for now and have started work on Meerzicht (Lakesight of Lakeside in English). This is going to be a fortress town which is located northwest of Concetron and has access to the same lake. It has a small harbor.

The town has three large fortresses (two guarding the landside, one guarding the harbor) and maintains a garrison of over a 1.000 veteran soldiers. It's the headquarters of the Alliance militairy in the north. The city is quite impenetrable and has a formidable reputation.

Poor people or ramshackle houses are not wanted inside the city walls, so I am going to create several villages surrounding the city. Of course not too near the walls as the soldiers won't allow that either (although in my novel there are tent camps with thousands of refugees even in the shadows of the walls).

I have tried to place the houses inside the walls closer to each other, sharing walls. Also I am going to create some larger buildings. I am still not entirely pleased with it, but practice makes perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meerzicht_1.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	6584  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-11-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Just a couple of questions regarding the way that the map is constructed and not on the content of the map:

- Are the towers and walls on different sheets? The shadoows of the towers on the walls seem doubled. I would guess that the are on different sheets to allow for different heights but the double shadows effect is weird. I would recommend changing the length of the shadows on the towers so that they have shadows that are longer than the wall shadows.

- Halfway up the middle vertical wal is a shadow discontinuity (a triangular chunk missing frmo the shadow). Did you export this map at high resolution and then make it smaller or is that where two wall segments join? I ask because that's the sort of artifact that I do not expect in that sort of area.

The design of the city is overall interesting and it may be showcasing some of the limitations of the shadow filter in CD3. I have a bit of a personal stake in the flaws in that particular filter and am trying to figure out if it is a filter code problem or an infrastructure problem.
    Last edited by waldronate; 09-20-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Just a couple of questions regarding the way that the map is constructed and not on the content of the map:

- Are the towers and walls on different sheets? The shadoows of the towers on the walls seem doubled. I would guess that the are on different sheets to allow for different heights but the double shadows effect is weird. I would recommend changing the length of the shadows on the towers so that they have shadows that are longer than the wall shadows.

- Halfway up the middle vertical wal is a shadow discontinuity (a triangular chunk missing frmo the shadow). Did you export this map at high resolution and then make it smaller or is that where two wall segments join? I ask because that's the sort of artifact that I do not expect in that sort of area.

The design of the city is overall interesting and it may be showcasing some of the limitations of the shadow filter in CD3. I have a bit of a personal stake in the flaws in that particular filter and am trying to figure out if it is a filter code problem or an infrastructure problem.
    - They are on two different sheets. The walls are on the "Walls" sheet, the towers on the "Symbols" sheet. Making the shadows longer on the towers doesn't really solve the problem as you still have overlapping shadows (see attached screen). I don't know if this is fixable in CD3, as I am not that experienced with it. Actually I overlooked the whole overlapping shadows bit and I don't really mind, but you have a point.

- The artefact is entirely my fault. I am glueing pieces together. I will fix it in the next version

Name:	overlapping_shadows.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	6586  

And an update of the map. This update was done in about 1.5 hours.

Name:	meerzicht_2.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	517.0 KB 
ID:	6587  

Very sweet, but the house shapes are too regular to make it look natural, if you know what I mean. is there any way of really mushing shapes together with CC3 (like adding two shapes together to make a single shape?)

I should do a two-part filter that allows for accumulating shadow lengths and then generating the shadows at the end like the lighting filter does. It would eliminate the doubled shadows.

Now if there was just some way to get the roofs to render height information then the shadows could have the right profile...

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Very sweet, but the house shapes are too regular to make it look natural, if you know what I mean. is there any way of really mushing shapes together with CC3 (like adding two shapes together to make a single shape?)
    I am not sure what you mean
    Although I do agree the setup of the houses could be better.

Do you mean something like this? The houses are really squeezed together:

http://www.profantasy.com/images/cd3.../gallery12.jpg
    (example on the Profantasy website)

It's also possible to draw different house shapes and then connect them.

Sorry, should have explained myself better. Most of your buldings are rectangles and in real medieval walled cities, buildings are not always rectangular. Take a look at the google earth picture of Lucca (italy) below.

Name:	lucca.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	6591  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Sorry, should have explained myself better. Most of your buldings are rectangles and in real medieval walled cities, buildings are not always rectangular. Take a look at the google earth picture of Lucca (italy) below.
    That's a nice pic!
    I am finishing the map in its current style, but for my next map I will try something like that (I know CD3 can do something like that, I just have to learn how I can do it). It's so much fun playing around with this software

Ok so I wrapped this map up in under an hour. Now that it's semi finished I noticed something peculiar. The city layout resembles a cat. ACK!
    That was definitely not intended.

Name:	meerzicht_3.jpg 
Views:	1968 
Size:	668.2 KB 
ID:	6592  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-21-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast