Thread: Hollow's Last Hope - Droskar's Crucible - Surface

Map Hollow's Last Hope - Droskar's Crucible - Surface

Ok... so my first real post... my group will be starting the Falcon's Hollow series of adventures which I purchased from www.paizo.com. But, we game using Maptool, since I live nowhere near any of my players, so I had to make a player friendly battlemap we could use... thus... well, here it is. I mostly use objects and such gleaned from places like here, rpgmapshare.com, the GMs apprentice, and the rptools gallery, since I've no real talent for visual arts myself.

Comments and criticism are more than welcome. I made the whole thing in maptool 1.3b41.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Druskar's Crucible - Surface level.png 
Views:	3021 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	6598  

Bah, so someone who isn't colorblind looked it over and told me it's wretched in the colour department. I'm redoing it... but I'm gonna leave this one up.

Hi,

I like the overall feel and the torn wall with the water is nice.

The brown ground does make it hard to really make out things, maybe you should experiment with a different color? (green/grass or something). Also I am missing the 3D aspect, for example walls having a bevel and casting shadows, but I don't know if you were aiming for that.

Yeah, I was mostly aiming for something fairly usable for our game on thursday while still being true to the original... the brown ground kind of tears it, though, and I'm redoing it. Getting a bevel to the walls would be kind of nice, but is fairly impossible with the tools maptool has in it (which are great for what they are). I can pretty much draw in textures and move tiles/stamps/objects around and resize them and the like, but making bevels and such, not so much. I have, however, grabbed a trial copy of Xara Xtreme and will be trying that out, as it looks like it might make some of this fairly easy... I only wish it worked in linux.

Map Redone!

Aaaand here's one without the fugliness... higher contrast, better colour scheme (my color-blind wife tells me)

I also included a version without the grid overlaid on it (though the grid overlay matches the one in the module, so if you use the square grid you might wanna use it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Druskar's Crucible - Surface level - better colors.png 
Views:	1543 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	6613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Druskar's Crucible - Surface level - No grid.png 
Views:	905 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	6614  

Yes, this is a lot better. I can easily make out the details now (especially in the version where the grid is also removed).

So what's the background story on this particular map?

It's the map from the module located here which is available as a free download and usable as a prelude to A not-free module. So... the premise is an ingredient search which leads to some dwarven ruins which have been inhabited by a Worg, a few various beasties, and the lower levels are inhabited by kobolds. Module 2 in the path is Crown of the Kobold King. The ruins are the last part and have the last ingredient, but are also the most dangerous portion of the adventure. If you have a new group of folks, or just wanna roll some first level 3.5 D20 characters, this'd be a good one to do it. Will be using it as a battlemap in maptool myself. I may post up the other encounters for the module as I get them completed, this one was just the biggest and most difficult, and thus the one I tackle first.