Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaeron v2 WIP

Wip Chaeron v2 WIP

Hey guy's,

A few weeks ago I posted a few maps about a new setting I was working on. Since then it has continued to evolve and change in style, I have finally settled on a style I like and this is the end result. I hope you guy's enjoy my work, typically I have only worked in B&W before so I was nervous about attempting a colour map again but I am quite happy with the result.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chaeron_WIP.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	70993
    I'd appreciate constructive criticism about my work and suggestions for future improvement.

***EDIT (The 3x3 grid lines are just guidelines and won't be present in the finished product)

I've scratched my current version after being stuck for several days and am working with some new ideas

Name:	Chaeron_revised_v2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	71125

I have country borders on this one as well as more prominent mountains further inland. Any feedback you guy's could offer would be great

UPDATE:

Views:	65 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	71131
    After using a demographic calculator i've made some corrections and added extra towns according to regions population. At the moment only major settlements are shown (town level and above) but I was add villages at a later date.

Another update:

I've been playing around with county placement and have changed the southern island to be slightly larger. I have also been playing around with map colour and am working on trying to give terrain highlights.

Views:	68 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	71205

Update Number 5

Views:	62 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	71276

Its been a while, I've been really busy focusing on the people that inhabit the land of my realm but heres update number 6.

Views:	54 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	71440
    I've noticed that my map has had alot of view but no comments other then my own, so this either means you all think my map is perfect, in which case thank you or that its not worth commenting on. Either way, Thank you guy's for taking the time to look at my work.

Banned User

Hi grimleyblack I know I've been waiting to see where you go with this, but I can make a few comments now, if that would help you

1. Your rivers are good. They run from high ground to the sea, they join properly, and meander a little bit.
    2. Your mountains are very dark, a bit too dense to see well, but they do run in proper linear ranges. The one mountain junction at the center of the map is a little to much angle to be natural -- mountain ranges normally don't join at right angles.
    3. The blue shallows are too bright, and the lighter color spreads onto the land. I'd make the shoreline more like the river edges, a bit darker than the land.
    4. The shorelines are just a little too smooth for my taste. You could make more small bays and peninsulas to break up the smooth look.
    5. The color difference between your hills and your mountains is too great. It makes it look like the mountains are just sitting on top of the plains, rather than an inherent part of the land. You might try color changes, and connecting them a little better, so it looks like the hills are just the smaller eroded mountain edges.

That said, this is a good start, let's see where you can take it

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Don't worry about people not commenting, It sucks I know espeically when your looking forward to feedback. I've noticed that people tend to comment more when there is something wrong.

I'ts looking good by the way, though I don't get why the mountains are so dark. Another thing you might want to try is reducing the saturation of the colors to see how it looks.

Hello, your map is coming along well. If there is a tip I could give you is that I find that most maps look better with less saturated colors (green). I could be wrong but it's true in general form personal experience. Individually the colors look dull but fit well together. I find it easier to match less saturated colors but I guess I might just be a mater of personal tastes. If your using Photoshop or Gimp (I think Gimp has that tool too), when you select the colors, sometimes a yellow triangle will appear. It means that the color selected cannot be printed and usually these color should be avoided even if it's not for printing. These tend to be bright and saturated colors.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Hi grimleyblack I know I've been waiting to see where you go with this, but I can make a few comments now, if that would help you

2. Your mountains are very dark, a bit too dense to see well, but they do run in proper linear ranges. The one mountain junction at the center of the map is a little to much angle to be natural -- mountain ranges normally don't join at right angles.
    No, but the mountain ranges can bend like they do north of Sichuan ? https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Sic...8f7ccf8f99feb9

Ok I was playing around with some different styles and come up with this, what do you guy's think for the mountains?

Name:	Mountain test.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	71475

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast