Thread: Town maker software

Question Town maker software

Hey, new member here. I have been searching and searching for a decent map making program to map out a town in a text based RPG game.

I have looked at many programs, Campaign Cartographer 2 with city addon, Hexmapper, some tile mapper, Dunjinni (or something like that) but that would require me to uninstall Java 6 and put in a lower version.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a nice, easy, doesn't have to be increadibly detailed or technical.

Many thanks.

Campaign cartographer 3 with city designer 3 add on is the way to go. You have all the symbols you need in the program and it's real easy to learn. If you're looking for simple and don't want to design your own symbols and such, it's the way to go.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patrakis View Post
    Campaign cartographer 3 with city designer 3 add on is the way to go. You have all the symbols you need in the program and it's real easy to learn. If you're looking for simple and don't want to design your own symbols and such, it's the way to go.

Pat
    [Original post deleted by ravells]

- Sorry Kili, as Torq said, we do not encourage software piracy on this site so I have deleted your post, but do check out the online city designer tool that Torq mentioned. - ravells
    Last edited by ravells; 09-21-2008 at 06:37 AM.

We certainly dont condone pirating the software, if thats waht you're suggesting, but check out this link. http://www.drachenzahn.de/city_map_generator/ . I think its the best rpg city creator around, and its free. I use it as the base for all my city maps.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    We certainly dont condone pirating the software, if thats waht you're suggesting, but check out this link. http://www.drachenzahn.de/city_map_generator/ . I think its the best rpg city creator around, and its free. I use it as the base for all my city maps.

Torq
    Well, that is a good one. But I'm looking for a mapper, not really a generator. Like a tile based program. I'll mess around with this program.

But I'd rather one I could manipulate more and actually make the layout and lable things.

You could probably bring the Output into Paint or GIMP and do the labelling there.

But, yeah, no one here will point you towards where you can illegally obtain software. Some of us here are BETA testers for Profantasy and support their company.

Besides if everybody simply 'pirated' the software, who could afford to buy it then to pay for the development
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 09-21-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Or you could use a free vector program like Inkscape. The advantage is that it will do labels and let you create house drawings very easily, the disadvantage is you will have to create your own symbols or use a free symbol library like dunjinni.

If this is a text based game, do you need graphics? Is this a map you will be posting somewhere? If you won't be posting it anywhere I would suggest just breaking out a piece of paper and pencils and making some bubble diagrams of the layout and don't waste time with actually mapping it. If you are going to be mapping it, then I would definitely suggest CC and the CD add-on.

Regarding the software piracy topic, you should know that there are some folks on here that actually make a living creating that software and there are others that are IT professionals that are very security and rights minded. You should know that your IP address is captured when you post here and that information could be used against you. I would strongly suggest that you keep that in mind when posting to any internet forum. I would hate to see one of our members get in a huge amount of trouble especially when there are so many free open source solutions out there.

My suggestion would be to download and install GIMP and then go to the Dundjinni and RPGMapShare sites and download some of the user created tiles from those sites and use them to build your city. If you need help with any of it you can post your work in the WIP forums and get a ton of help with making it look awesome. Best of luck to you!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.