Thread: My First Attempt at a World Map (WiP)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Chili's Avatar

Wip My First Attempt at a World Map (WiP)

This is a world I have used in a few games quite some time ago and I recently thought about bringing it to Roll20 for my friends so I decided to try my hand at bringing what has only been scribbled down on paper a few times to the digital world.

Created with PS CS6 and quite a few tutorials from around here and YouTube, there is still quite a bit I have to do with the landscape and I'm not sure I am happy with the snow on the mountains. I am looking to get a tablet to help with some of the freehand work as using a mouse s a pain.

So here it is, named simply "Isle of Storms" for lack of a better name when I first made it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y4E12ix.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	71045

Did a bit more work, I wasn't happy with the trees so I went a different direction. I also enhanced the rivers a bit more. The brown lines are where I want my roads, that will be tomorrow. Good night!

Name:	fU1TwrH.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	71049

Here is the 2k x 2k version

Name:	buHriiY.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	71050
    Last edited by Chili; 02-22-2015 at 05:29 AM.

I really like the second map. I like the ocean, especially the coast. Maybe add some texture to the sandy area in the southwest corner?

Quote Originally Posted by RevGunn View Post
    I really like the second map. I like the ocean, especially the coast. Maybe add some texture to the sandy area in the southwest corner?
    Thank you Rev, I am still going about making the land the way I want it while experimenting with photoshop so I did add a light texture to the desert region as well as some other modifications today. Here is what I have so far.

Name:	m1LEVIM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	710.5 KB 
ID:	71071

Minor change, I finished up the crevasse to my liking, here is the result of that.

Name:	qJmtpcc.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	599.1 KB 
ID:	71074
    Last edited by Chili; 02-22-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Looks really good! keep up the good work.... I really like the ocean/ land transitions.

I have my map close to where I want it for the larger satellite view. I wanted to try and draw the major cities but they would be too small to be much more than a few pixels so I went with the banner labels instead, it should give my players a general idea of the world as a whole.

I love learning how to do things in photoshop besides make forum signatures and memes I am going to tackle regional maps next which will provide much more detail about the towns, villages and points of interest.

Here is the CFN end map.

Name:	tKCbnAO.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	71085

Looks cool! I like how the forest came out, and that mountain range to the North is massive; looks like a great place for some epic sub-terrane exploration!

For your water texture, is that something you did yourself in PS? It looks like it *could* be a water texture scaled up, but I can think of a possible way to get a similar effect in PS as well...