Thread: My first larger Inkscape map project - Political map of Glemgres

Guild Novice Facebook Connected kemachi's Avatar

Wip My first larger Inkscape map project - Political map of Glemgres

Roughly a year ago I posted here a map of my fictional continent Glemgres created in Gimp. While I like it I wanted something with more detail and easily editable so I chose to recreate the map in Inkscape. I would like some feedback about the general feel of the style, fonts used and placement of text. Also I would like to ask for some suggestion how to label mountains and rivers (though for rivers I have an idea, the mountains are bigger issue).

The cities are currently only in the southeast island and nearby areas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GG03.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	71066

I like your style, but then I'm a freak who likes political maps. =P The stylized symbols make the whole thing very smooth to read, and your font choice is solid. Sorry I don't have any advice, I'm a beginner myself.

First update - rivers and some borders are more optimized, seen mostly in close detail, which made the source file much slower and should be faster to work with in the future. Also added more cities and features to Ofras, mainly river labels.

Name:	GG04.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	71118

UPDATE

More cities, some small corrections and changes. I added mountain and sea labels.

Name:	GG06.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	71141

Also, I tried to add sidebars with some extra stuff, but I don't like how they look, if you have some suggestions how to make it look better, I'd like to hear them. I would like there to be some basic information on countries, so the final font will probably be smaller. I also thought about either splitting the countries into two groups, so the left bar will have some of them and right bar the rest; or perhaps have some basic world information under the legend and have all 18 countries on the right. And should I scale each of the legend entries to be better seen from distance, or should I keep them the size they are on actual map?

Name:	GG06x.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	71142

Here is the map almost finished. I just want to ask for some final feedback/criticism if any before actually completion. Mostly what remains to do is to review the "World" text and add the remaining 12 countries to the right side bar.

Name:	GG09x.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	71262

Map is finished and can be seen here.