Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Maps for the Republic of Dionysos

Map Two Maps for the Republic of Dionysos

In the last days, I create two maps for the Micronation "Republic of Dionysos".

INSEL HELIOS - ISLE OF HELIOS
    Description: The isle of Helios is a nature protection area and part of the district of Milhet. Only on Helios live the typical Helios-Tiger, a white striped and big cat.
    Creation: This map was made by PS and Inkscape. With PS I create the landscape an relief. The signatures I made with Inkscape.

NIEDERBERGEN
    Description: The second map is a dictrict map of Niederbergen, a federal state of Dionysos. It's a mountained region, a little bit like the Bavaria of Dionysos.
    Creation: The landscape is made with PS. In this map I used Wilbur for the relief at first time. With GIMP I prepared the relief for following use. The signatures are made by Inkscape.

Hope you like the maps,
    Greets Ruedy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helios_insel.png 
Views:	472 
Size:	430.6 KB 
ID:	8536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nb_end.png 
Views:	345 
Size:	858.5 KB 
ID:	8538  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-11-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Praise I am impressed!

Hello, Ruedy.

Hooo, Boy! Have I got a lot to learn.

First, I am really impressed with these two maps. They are beautiful and very well done. Congratulations on your excellent work.

Now, if I may, some questions.

1) How did you get such great topology drawn on your map? I'm very impressed with your terrain details -- plains, highland, mountains, waterways, etc. -- and am very interested in how you get such beautiful terrain onto paper?

2) Did you use your height field map (relief map) as the basis for then "painting" the terrain?

3) Any input, tutorials or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Again, Ruedy, these are excellent maps and you should be quite proud of them.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice Ruedy! Looks like they came from an atlas, or travel pamphlet.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

These are very nice. The largest compliment I can give is...I have to learn how to do this
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    1) How did you get such great topology drawn on your map? I'm very impressed with your terrain details -- plains, highland, mountains, waterways, etc. -- and am very interested in how you get such beautiful terrain onto paper?

2) Did you use your height field map (relief map) as the basis for then "painting" the terrain?
    Hi Vandy,
    first I create a black/white heightmap, use the blur and export it into Wilbur. At Wilbur I use the filters for more Details, it's a lot of trial and error. ;-)
    After that, I export it back to PS or Gimp and create the landscape with textures in a layer under the relief.

3) Any input, tutorials or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    I will try to write a tutorial for the guild with a friends help, who can articulate english better than me. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    These are very nice. The largest compliment I can give is...I have to learn how to do this
    Thanks. :-)

Very nice indeed. Do they drink or produce a lot of Wine in Dionysos?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Do they drink or produce a lot of Wine in Dionysos?
    They produce and drink the fictional "Dionka", a brandy burned from the "Dionkawurz" (Dionka-Root).
    It tastes like a mixture from italian Ramazotti and greek Ouzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedy View Post
    They produce and drink the fictional "Dionka", a brandy burned from the "Dionkawurz" (Dionka-Root).
    It tastes like a mixture from italian Ramazotti and greek Ouzo.
    Cool. I just had noticed the prevalance of Ancient Greek Nomenclature in your lands.

Dionysos = Greek Goddess of Wine.

SO I was wondering if there was a correlation between the two.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Dionysus is the Greek GOD, not Goddess, of wine and drunken revelry. His Roman name was Bacchus, which is the root of the word Bacchanalia, which is pretty much an orgy with booze.

On a different note. I really like the map, and a tutorial would be wonderful. Kudos to you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast