Thread: CB's Latest maps

Post CB's Latest maps

I'm very new here, but Steel General suggested I post some work, so here are my latest maps in each category.

This is the Continent of Draconia from my campaign: The Isles of The Sun. I use only Paintshop and a WACOM pad for my overland maps. These large scale maps are my favorite part, and I always do them completely by hand. They used to be done in colored pencil, but when my new campaign needed to be on the internet, I invested in the WACOM pad, and my maps look better than ever (of course, there is always room for improvement )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Draconia.png 
Views:	247 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	9920

This is the City of Loa. My city maps are my weakest point. This one was made with RPG City Map Generator, then touched up in Photoshop. I'd like to find a better program for this, but this process, although a bit lengthy is working for now. The angularity of the roads is intentional. It's part of the strange nature of the Drakes in my campaign.

Name:	loa.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	345.8 KB 
ID:	9921

The last one is one of the ancient temples on the Draconian Exile Colony (I didn't put it up in the post because it's huge). I've been using Dunjini for my Dungeon maps lately, and I really like it. You'll notice that there are no grid-lines or doors on my map. We play on Fantasy Grounds 2, so I let the program add the grid lines for me, and I use movable tokens for doors, so that I can open and close them visually.

Name:	Ancient Draconian Temple in the hills of Exile Island.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	9922
    Last edited by RobA; 02-03-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Hia CBDroege.

Hope you don't mind I edited you post and use the built in thumbnailler rather than inlining the attached images (just click on the paperclip icon once images are attached and you can select them.)

I like the The Isles of The Sun map. It is very clean looking. You might be a little delta-happy, but other than that it is a nice map!

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff...you may want to look into Campaign Cartographer & its City Designer add-on for your cities.

I would be remiss in my office as a River Policeman if I didn't make note of the strange splits of some of the rivers in your Draconia map. A common mistake (which I was guilty of too) is to have them split as they travel toward the sea, smaller rivers should merge together into larger ones. Of course there are always exceptions.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hi CBDroege,

Welcome! I like your maps and I gave you some reputation for posting them. Although you used only a few colors in the first two maps, they look nice and are very functional. I especially like the city map. It almost looks like a blueprint. You might want to experiment with some more colors in the future however, it could give those maps an extra kick.

The dungeon maps are a lot more colorful and I very much like the last map (outside).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks, RobA. I've never seen that inline thumbnailer before. I'll make sure to utilize it in the future.

This continent is unique in the campaign. I wanted each continent to look very different from one another, and to each have a 'theme' feature, and this one is essentially the continent of deltas The deltas are formed of volcanic ash being brought down by the rivers. I used maps of real-world deltas as reference.

Don't worry: Throughout out the rest of The Isles, the rivers correctly merge together as they travel toward the sea .

Also: I tried CC a long time ago, and for some reason, its interface just never jived with me. Maybe I didn't play with it long enough, but I never became a fan of it or its extensions. I'm sure that's blasphemy around here .

Quote Originally Posted by CBDroege View Post
    Also: I tried CC a long time ago, and for some reason, its interface just never jived with me. Maybe I didn't play with it long enough, but I never became a fan of it or its extensions. I'm sure that's blasphemy around here .
    Infidel!
    *grabs pitchfork*

Anyway, the interface of CC isn't really the best. There are some great video tutorials out there nowadays, however.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...