Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Map in Progress...

Wip World Map in Progress...

So, I'd originally posted about this map over in the General section, but then remembered there was an area of the forums better suited... So I'm moving it here..

You can see the original thread here, if you want to see the original map and discussion thread (not many posts there). I'll include the original map (though I've altered the landmass a bit since then, but it's mostly the same).

In summary, I've set up the base for a map, but am having trouble finding a way to fill in the map details that I'm happy with. I'm going for a more "iconic" look, something in the vein of a Tolkien-esque look.. but not exactly like that.

Anyway, in that thread, chick recommended I first rough in where the different features would be (mountains, etc). So, that's the stage I'm at now.

The new image here shows a very coarse "block out" of roughly where I expect certain biomes to be, etc. Some of the areas are all-inclusive under a single color; for example, all types of forest (alpine, deciduous, dead, etc..) are under the same color...

The specific 'shape' and location of some regions will very likely change, as the game this is for is going to be a zone-based RPG, so I might have to shift mountains around and such to make the borders between areas work a bit better.

Anyway... any thoughts/feedback are welcome.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Climates.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	71114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flattened.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	71113  
    Last edited by MiToVo; 02-23-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Wip

So, a quick update before I head off to work...

Did some work with the map this morning, working in some mountains, and a smattering of foothills... just to get a feel for how it might look.

I found, perhaps as a happy accident, that changing the mode and opacity of the layers with the different climates blocked in, it gives this nice, subtle "tinted" look... that also has this kinda "watercolor-ish" effect. Didn't plan for that, but I think I like it. Might tweak the opacity a bit, but otherwise, I like that look.

The mountains are laid in kinda like what I imagine.. not a solid chain of them, and in a more "iconic" manner, where it's indicated "there are mountains here", but without trying to be very "accurate". Enabling shape dynamics in PS helps a lot to keep it from looking too repetitive.

I'm gonna leave it be for the day, and come back to see it again with "fresh eyes" later. Then I'll see if I still like it overall or not :p. If so, I'll continue on, with perhaps some tweaks. If not, I'll just give it another pass.

Considering this is my first actual, genuine attempt at creating and finishing a map... I think I'm doing okay so far :p

Anyhoo.. here ya go!

Thanks

Name:	MountainRough.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	71124  
    Last edited by MiToVo; 02-24-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

First of all, welcome to the guild MiToVo!

This is looking really nice. I love your paper texture, the colours (and blending of those colours) on the landmass itself, and the map title/compass rose are awesome too. Did you draw the compass rose yourself? Just curious

Mountains can be really tricky to get right. I once did a map for someone where they wanted it at such a large scale that I was literally laying down mountains for four hours! Now, your map is quite minimalist in that respect, and I really like it. You don't always need to have a ton of brushes all clumped together to get a nice effect.

Look forward to see where this goes!

Dude nice work! I too have had trouble with mountains in the past but yours are looking great. I agree with Cirias that simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Cirias View Post
    First of all, welcome to the guild MiToVo!

This is looking really nice. I love your paper texture, the colours (and blending of those colours) on the landmass itself, and the map title/compass rose are awesome too. Did you draw the compass rose yourself? Just curious

Mountains can be really tricky to get right. I once did a map for someone where they wanted it at such a large scale that I was literally laying down mountains for four hours! Now, your map is quite minimalist in that respect, and I really like it. You don't always need to have a ton of brushes all clumped together to get a nice effect.

Look forward to see where this goes!
    Quote Originally Posted by grimleyblack View Post
    Dude nice work! I too have had trouble with mountains in the past but yours are looking great. I agree with Cirias that simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    To both of you, Thank You!

I'm really uncertain of how to bring this together and make it look good, but your comments have been a great boost of confidence that I seem to at least have the right idea lol.

Very much appreciated.

I do have a quick update, where I've added some more details in.. some forest, and some swamp land. Again, this is just to try and get a "system" down that I can follow for a more permanent go. It occurs to me that I should probably lay rivers and lakes in before I do any of the other stuff. With mountains in place as a source, I can do that. So, I"ll be un-doing all the forest/swamp stuff, for now. Or at least hiding those layers 'til the water bits are in place, then I can better work around those.

Not sure I'm sold on the swamp details.. might test out a few different ideas on that before I decide what to go with.

Anyways! See attachment for the latest version.

Thought I'd share with y'all an example of what is a big inspiration for the style I'm trying to go for overall - though not exactly (I think I'm going into a bit more detail with the land features in mine)...

Here's the map for Lineage 2, a MMORPG I used to play religiously and always loved the artwork for. I always liked their very hand-painted look on that map.. it's kinda "sloppy", but still readable at the same time. And I love how each of the major locations has a custom-drawn bitmap for it. That's something like what I have in mind my map. Although, looking at the L2 map.. wow it's amazing how cluttered it's become over time.

Name:	MountainRough.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	71143  

Another quick update!

I've gone back and done some more work on the mountains, breaking them up a bit more which, to me, looks a lot better, but also will better suit the format for breaking it up into zones for the actual game.

I'm actually wondering if adding in trees and grass and such might actually be overkill and cause a lot of clutter, especially when I get labels, and roads and the symbols for different towns, etc.

So, I'm wondering if I should stick to mountains and rivers for the geographic elements, along with the background "tinting" to indicate the type of environment.

Over top of that will go the labels and symbols and such...

I wouldn't get all that nice little detail in there, but I think the map will be cleaner and easier to read in the end.

Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, here's the most recent version of what I have.

Thanks!

Name:	MountainRough-2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	71150  

If your working at a continent scale major mountain ranges and rivers is all you really need, for this style of map you need to keep it simple and easy to read which means you'll want your settlements and map text to stand out so some sort of glow effect i would reconmend. If you use Photoshop for Major towns try using a slightly larger font then minor towns hope this helps
    Last edited by grimleyblack; 02-25-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Hey there...

Thanks for that! So, I have the right idea regarding keeping the details to a minimum. I keep thinking "but how will people know there's a forest somewhere? Then I figured "well, I guess they'll figure that out when they get there and see all the trees".

As for labels, yeah, I'm gonna do a little experimentation with different styles to see what stands out best. I also want to start working out river and lake placement.

I have a more updated version than what I posted last night, but I"ll wait 'til I have a bit more going on than just some changes in mountains, etc to upload again.

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by grimleyblack View Post
    If your working at a continent scale major mountain ranges and rivers is all you really need, for this style of map you need to keep it simple and easy to read which means you'll want your settlements and map text to stand out so some sort of glow effect i would reconmend. If you use Photoshop for Major towns try using a slightly larger font then minor towns hope this helps

Wip

So, a quick update.

I've begun working on placement of rivers (only in the NE so far), and some major lakes (I'm thinking smaller lakes won't be on this map, just as the tinier creeks and such won't be).

I'm following guidelines I've seen elsewhere, about how rivers flow, and how they branch into each other, etc. So, hopefully I'm doing that correctly :p.

So, not much else to add here... Latest image is attached. Not getting this done as quickly as I'd like... got a cold kicking my butt. Bleh. Hopefully this weekend will be better.

Anyhoo... Thanks!

Name:	Rivers.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	538.0 KB 
ID:	71180  

Wip

Quick update!

Have some more river work done, and a small kinda "canyon-ish" area in the SW...

Decided to put it on "pause" for now, though, and see if I might get some feedback - specifically... is my river work okay? Might be a bit difficult to see the smaller ones... but I think I've got it right.

And, any general feedback where I might improve, or suggestions of any sort are appreciated.

Thanks!

Name:	Rivers.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	534.2 KB 
ID:	71204  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast