Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legends

Map Legends

I'm new to this forum, but not new to mapping! I posted this in my member intro thread, but perhaps it's really better off in the gallery. It's called "Legends:"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LegendsForPub.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	71254

The map is hand-drawn with a dip pen and india ink on 14x17" Bristol. I then artificially aged it (by wadding it up and dunking it in a tray of coffee - let me tell you, that took some bravery to do!) and photographed it. I've tried to tweak the RAW photo to reproduce color as accurately as I could.

Whenever I show anyone this map, I always like to ask them if they can figure out how it works. The trick is all in the labels - you might notice that there are no proper place names, but instead there are several other connections between labels and lands. Events from the history of science, art, politics, and military campaigns mingle with the local mythologies, legends, and tales to mark associated locations in the world.

Unfortunately, calling attention to the labels also calls attention to the fact that I'm not a calligrapher!

Here are some other close-ups and dramatic shots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7842.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	71148 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7855.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	71144 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7832.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	71146

There's a higher-res version uploaded here. If you want a printout, I can put up the imagekind link, too.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by jshoer; 02-28-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: making original post more compliant with forum guidelines

This is my kind of map! I love maps that tell a story (or many stories). They are so much more interesting than fantasy maps with a bunch of made up names (in my opinion). And this one has been well-executed, to boot! Have some rep!

THYW
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 02-24-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I like your style, as I always like a "simple" yet not "simplistic" style; but, as I'm a sucker for good border and cartouches/legend, I must see I miss them a little bit in your maps.
    Anyway, good job.

Thanks, HoarseWhisperer!

Yeah, when I get going, I have a bad habit of continuing way out to the page edges! I think I just like doing the map itself more than those sorts of design elements. But you're right, sometimes their absence can make the map look a bit bare.

Good map! You got a very pleasant hand drawn style. I'm not fond of the mountains, but I love all the tiny details.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Good map! You got a very pleasant hand drawn style. I'm not fond of the mountains, but I love all the tiny details.
    i totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I'm new to this forum, but not new to mapping! I posted this in my member intro thread, but perhaps it's really better off in the gallery. It's called "Legends:"
    Hello, would you like to draw for RPG fans?
    the RPG is the very good and famous "Dragon warriors" game. Maybe it could be interesting for you , why not?

The wold of the game is called "Legends",
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-27-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Merging double posts

Ilanthar and Hermes: can I ask why you aren't fond of the mountains? I've done mountains in several different styles, and I'm wondering why these don't do it for you.

Hermes, the name "Legends" refers to how I labeled the map according to events in the local history, or mythologies from the local cultures. It's not really the name of the world. (Actually, giving this world a name wouldn't be in keeping with the theme of the map - since there are no place names!)

All that said, I've done work on commission before, and I'm happy to try new things. Though I don't play, myself, I'll poke around the RPG forum.

Stunning work!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

By Jshoer
    Ilanthar and Hermes: can I ask why you aren't fond of the mountains? I've done mountains in several different styles, and I'm wondering why these don't do it for you.
    Sure! I found those mountains not "spiky", "sharp" and rugged enough. That's a question of taste probably. For me, it looks more like hills actually.

Wonderful! I love your labels/noteable facts, and the style you used to pen the map. The aging works well, too. Well done!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast