Thread: First Battle Map (WiP)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Chili's Avatar

Wip First Battle Map (WiP)

I just finished my first battle map for my campaign in Roll20. This should be the first adventure the players embark on, which is a simple job of clearing the old fort of its current residents, a small pack of goblins. I will make the roof section and the basement section work as a layer for roll 20 that can be revealed or hidden as the players move through. I'm purposely leaving it free of assets so I can populate it in roll 20.

This is Fort Berumuth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uf4XLc5.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	71155

Finished up my "Old Fort" maps and consolidated them into one workable map.

Name:	JchLLZY.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	71166

The "Old Fort" title placement seems a bit random were it is maybe move it to the top or bottom. Not certain the compass rose is in the same style as the rest of your decorations it seems out of place to me. The map itself is very readable, and clearly conveys your terrain information. Keep up the good work.

Chili, what font are you using for the labels? Is it free?

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    The "Old Fort" title placement seems a bit random were it is maybe move it to the top or bottom. Not certain the compass rose is in the same style as the rest of your decorations it seems out of place to me. The map itself is very readable, and clearly conveys your terrain information. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for the tips and advice. I've had to do away with the single pic map as it bigger than Roll20 liked for an upload. I've made some subtle changes to them as I moved them to 3 separate pics. (below)

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    Chili, what font are you using for the labels? Is it free?
    It's called Endor and yes, it is completely free. http://www.1001freefonts.com/endor.font

Here are the newest versions of all 3 sections plus some additional maps I created recently.

Surface

Name:	eZGeAoV.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	71211

Basement

Name:	Bm20Ski.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	912.8 KB 
ID:	71212

Roof

Name:	8Oypgjs.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	555.4 KB 
ID:	71213

Still making adjustments as I learn new things with PS and set the maps up closer to my campaign's plot point as well as learn more about uniformity and cleaning up subtle oversights.

For the basement I am trying to get it to look like it has been flooded (ankle deep) and a layer of moss on the floors, I think it needs more fine tuning.

Meanwhile, I threw together the final map of this quest, which is the cave under the basement of the old fort. The entrance will be a hatch in the floor of the secret room area. The cave entrance will lead to an area just to the North of the fort. I may throw together a final map for the players to get back to the main road heading back into town and to prolong the adventure.

Name:	PNl6lFM.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	71224

As I said before, added an area to advance the players through another map to the main road.

Name:	Z39AZdQ.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	71232
    Last edited by Chili; 02-27-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Nice work, the map is so much nicer to look at without the grid.

Nice job! I especially like the chiseled out look of the caves.... smart technique I might borrow for rough hewn caves myself!