Thread: City Designer 3 is not compatible with Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus

Guild Applicant

Info City Designer 3 is not compatible with Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus

Hi. I joined the forum to share my discovery about CC3+ and CD3 compatibility. The short version: CD3 (and probably DD3) are not compatible with CC3Plus. It will make CC3 Plus fail to run. Instead, install CC3+ and good-old CC3 side-by-side; and use CD3 and DD3 with the older CC3.

I am a complete novice with the ProFantasy tools, and for that matter I have not used Windows much for many years. So I would love to hear feedback or comments about my experience.

I bought CC3 recently, and so I got an email to download the CC3Plus upgrade. Today I installed it on a new Windows 8.1 machine. Wow! The look and performance is great! I planned to use the same procedure I did before: install Campaign Cartographer, then install the extras like CD3 and DD3.

The first clue that this was a mistake is that CD3 "could not find" Campaign Cartographer. I helpfully identified the folder for the installer (it is named CC3Plus rather than just CC3). The next clue that this was a mistake was when the installer said something like "extracting patch."

After installation, when I run CC3+, I get an error window entitled "FCW32: fcw32.exe - Entry Point Not Found" with this dialog message:

The procedure entry point _GetPFToolsAdr@4 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\AdvancedCC2.dll
    A final clue was reading "they work independently" from this announcement: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...ID=4771&page=1

So, as the man says, don't do that. Basically I removed everything, manually deleted the "Program Files" folders, and re-installed (a direct re-install did not work). I did all the older software, and finished with CC3+. This was my procedure to correct the problem:

1. Run Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Escape) and end all FastCAD tasks
    2. Re-run the CC3PlusSetup.exe installer tool
    3. Select the "Remove" option and click Next; when it is done, click Finish
    4. Move C:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus to the Recycle Bin
    5. Run CC3Setup.exe and install the older version normally. Run it to confirm. Go to Help -> About and check your version (mine is 3.42). Then quit
    6. Run CC3Update11.exe and install that. Run it to confirm. in Help -> About, it should indicate version 3.43.
    7. Run CD3Setup.exe (City Designer 3 which I purchased as a bundle). Select "Remove" and click Next. (The recovery option does not work as it will install to CC3Plus again, which is bad.)
    8. Run CD3Setup.exe again. Install normally. It prompted me to locate CC3 again (which is good). I selected the CC3 folder and also manually backspaced out the "Plus" in the path. Install City Designer 3 but not CC3Update10
    9. Run DD3Setup.exe (Dungeon Designer 3). I had not installed this yet so it went fine.
    10. Run CC3PlusSetup.exe again and install normally. Run it to confirm, then quit
      Then quit

Hopefully this post can get in search engines and help out somebody who made the same mistake.

One issue I expect is opening the .fcw files in the appropriate application. If I am making an overland map, I want to use CC3+, and use CC3 for cities and dungeons. My current plan is simply to run the needed application and open my files from within it.

It would be more accurate to say that CD3 and DD3 do not yet work with CC3+. ProFantasy also has made that quite clear. The current CC3+ version still is an early adopter beta, a point that ProFantasy also has made quite clear. ProFantasy also has made clear the CD3 and DD3 will be updated for CC3+ and that licensed users of both programs will receive the update at no cost.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Thanks for that detailed procedure, jhs! I'm sure it will help some folks out.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by jhs View Post
    One issue I expect is opening the .fcw files in the appropriate application. If I am making an overland map, I want to use CC3+, and use CC3 for cities and dungeons. My current plan is simply to run the needed application and open my files from within it.
    After one installs CC3+, the FCW file extension default goes from CC3 to CC3+. Because the start file of both versions (FCW32.exe) have the same name, you cannot move the default back from CC3+ to CC3 by normal means. Windows ignores that. Instead one must do the following.

1. Close all instances of CC3 and CC3+.
    2. Click the CC3 (not CC3+!) symbol with the right mouse key.
    3. Pick the option Run as Admnistrator
    4. That should reset the CC3 version as the default.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    After one installs CC3+, the FCW file extension default goes from CC3 to CC3+. Because the start file of both versions (FCW32.exe) have the same name, you cannot move the default back from CC3+ to CC3 by normal means. Windows ignores that. Instead one must do the following.

1. Close all instances of CC3 and CC3+.
    2. Click the CC3 (not CC3+!) symbol with the right mouse key.
    3. Pick the option Run as Admnistrator
    4. That should reset the CC3 version as the default.
    Thank you for that procedure! And thank you for clarifying the compatibility situation. Yes, for posterity: Yes, I take full blame for messing up my installs

Anyway, I have CC3 and CC3+ links on my desktop, so what I have been doing is simply dragging the .fcw file to whichever application I want. That will tell Windows to execute that application with that file. If I recall, there is somewhere to manually add or configure filename extension stuff in Windows too.

Quote Originally Posted by jhs View Post
    If I recall, there is somewhere to manually add or configure filename extension stuff in Windows too.
    It's in the Windows control panel, but in this case, it doesn't work on Windows level because both the CC3 and CC3+ start files have the same name, thus, the procedure I suggested.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project