Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayan Complex in 3D

A good FLICKER site with some images of Mayan Works here:

http://flickr.com/photos/9549670@N05/2487482435/

Espcially this image:

http://flickr.com/photos/9549670@N05...7604955691096/

You can see how some of the bricks were painted different colors.

I can just imagine how these temples would have looked at their height.

Color wise, It looks good. We just need to remember that in the past, stone structures were never just left as stone. They would have been painted, whitewashed etc.

It's looking good though, because the images on the temple would often tell stories of the gods.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I tried a 3D version using an isometric camera. At the angle of the same model above, the difference was almost unnoticeable, so I didn't post that version. Must think some more on this.

So it looks like I'll be creating
    Not sure about your isometric camera...

I roughed it up in gimp against an isometric grid... this shows the difference I would expect:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iso.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	547.1 KB 
ID:	6620

-Rob A>

Yes, RobA's is more accurate isometric. A good way to gauge iso views is how well they fit in a hex. Iso is very close to the same angles as a hex since a hex is the silhouette of an isometric view of a cube. So the top three in RobA's example are closer to correct iso view.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I always wondered what the proper perspective for ISO was...now I know. It makes so much sense that I might toy around with this idea some, if just for adding icons to my maps. Thanks man
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I always wondered what the proper perspective for ISO was...now I know. It makes so much sense that I might toy around with this idea some, if just for adding icons to my maps. Thanks man
    True ISO is 120 degrees, with no foreshortening of elements, so 1 unit x,y,z all measure the same. (This, of course, makes me recall fondly having to had sketch iso parts in a drafting class I took too many years ago.)

-Rob A>

Sounds like we had the same class Rob. Was it Orthographic Projections and Geometry by any chance? That class was rough, but it really taught me a lot of really useful stuff that I still use to this very day.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post I may yet create ISO structures, but...

I may yet create ISO structures, for the possible use in creating in ISO map for the Maya construction, I am working here, but my original goal was to create the kind of illustrative maps in 3/4 view depicting a historic location, battlefield plan - not an ISO map.

Think of flying from a small plane, hang glider whatever and looking at a 45 degree angle to the ground at a given location. If you could snap a photo from that view - this is what I am trying to create.

Truth tell, I don't care for ISO maps, what's missing in an isographic projection is perspective, which as an artist, I almost require to properly depict an illustrative or 3D created map. Most true ISO maps look so unrealistic without perspective, I just say "yech".

I guess my first goal is to create an illustrative 3D map of a Mayan Temple Complex and surrounding community. Then I will create the Xara created top down views of the same thing. Once complete, I will give the ISO version an attempt - only to accomodate those desiring ISO structures, not because its something I would do on my own initiative.

ISO is not for me, personally.

And yes, I created ISO drawings for drafting in 8th grade and high school over 30 years ago, as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

You were lucky. I didn't get to do drafting until I majored in Architecture in college. I wish I could have done it in high school.

Taking into account that you are talking about creating an entire map in the perspective that you want and not individual objects. I get what you are saying, although I think you'll be quite challenged to find the right camera angles and settings to get what you are after. I'm really intrigued by this project and given your talent I can't wait to see it.

I would like to add some relevent information regarding perspective since this is as good a place as any to mention it. What is perspective? Well... that depends on your perspective. A 3/4 view, but at what height? A 45 degree angle to the ground, but what is the angle to the object you are drawing? That is why Isometric drawings came into being. You had "absolutes" for all the angles and could project surrounding buildings and maps from those angles. In fact, there are really a lot of different meanings to the phrase "perspective drawing" and it depends on whether you are talking to a draftsman, an artist, or some combination of both such as a computer graphics artist... us. For the artist they deal with 1, 2 or 3 point perspective. For the draftsman they deal with specific angles, but depending on the project do slide into artistic realms from time to time. The computer graphic artist has the hardest job of all and has to keep in mind all the elements. Thankfully that has become easier over the years as the software has become more intelligent and all the math has been integrated so now they are back to the more artistic side of things.

Here is a link to perspective that relates to what I learned in college regarding perspective. This isn't the actual school I went to, but pretty much all the info is identical:

http://www.math.utah.edu/~treiberg/P...t/Perspect.htm

Post Exactly, RP!

Exactly, RP, and as I mentioned, I looking in the "perspective" of an artist. However, allowing me to be ever more lazy. I am using a 3D application with a conical camera, therefore once I model and place the terrain and structures, the final perspective will be defined by the 3D program itself. So it decides the perspective, though I still have to setup the camera angles and distance from the objects in the right place.

That's why I chose to do this in 3D in the first place. The isometric discussion came through the result of thing of creating useable map objects out of the 3D and unless you go isometric, camera angles make it less useful.

I guess so isometrically speaking, my goal would be to create isometric projections of each final 3D object to be useable in creating those kinds of maps. Something I'll look into once I'm complete with the 3D map scene and the Xara top-down version of the same location.

GP

PS: just "repped" you RP for bringing up perspective, its an issue that should be discussed.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks GP! I wasn't sure if I should take it to a different thread or not, but I figured it would get more views in one of yours than one of mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast