Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayan Complex in 3D

Wip Mayan Complex in 3D

Thought I would experiment on creating a mayan complex in 3D, in a 3/4 view rather than top-down. The beauty of 3D is difficult to see in a top-down, though the angle is still pretty steep, rather than true 3/4 view.

Anyway, the first element of my mayan experiment - a ziggurat. I want to create several ziggurats and other temple structures, a ball court, some surrounding walls, appropriate to a mayan complex, as well as some homes.

I've been to Cancun seen some smaller mayan ruins there, as well as Chichinitza and another ziggurat south of Cancun, about 5 years ago. As well as seen ruins of a mayan home - foundation only, but understand above the stone foundation was basically a wooden hut with thatched roof. I'll also be creating some palms and other plant life, and perhaps even a "cenote" or waterfilled sinkhole, as mayan rivers are subterrainean only with sinkholes exposing access for drinking water and sacrefices.

At this point, I'm not sure whether just to create a 3/4 view map or map objects in 3/4 view, so you can "assemble" a Mayan complex yourself in your preferred program with pieces...

Thoughts?

GP

Mayan Ziggurat: 540 kb 100 ppi PNG

PS: I now think I should have posted this thread in the city/town WIP forum, rather than the building/structure WIP, CL's please move this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mayan-ziggurat.png 
Views:	1072 
Size:	540.9 KB 
ID:	6602  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-22-2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: I ought to move this thread to City/Town WIP forum
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Well, first, as an amateur archeaologist (it was my Major in University with a preference for New World: Aztec, Olmec, Incan, Mayan, Pueblo etc) it's too.....grey

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ya-temple.html

The temple, even not gleaming, were painted, often with Ochre, and other deep earth shades, with Bright Ornamentation, painted reliefs of the gods, feathered serpents (Kulkulkan/Quetzalcoatl), jaguars, etc

The grey temples we are familiar with, is the modern, weathered temple with no upkeep. The paint has washed off, the temples were usually overgrown and dug back out from the reclaimed jungles.

So, color aside I like the Temple.

Now, normally, I would be averse to 3/4 views for maping purposes, as buildings would be limited to a N/S/E/W orientation, and no variation to that, except for the whole, most MesoAmerican cities did follow that sort of orientation/city planing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teotihuacan

http://archaeology.asu.edu/teo/intro/citymp1.htm

http://archaeology.asu.edu/teo/intro/citymp2.htm
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post Good to know, NK!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    The temple, even not gleaming, were painted, often with Ochre, and other deep earth shades, with Bright Ornamentation, painted reliefs of the gods, feathered serpents (Kulkulkan/Quetzalcoatl), jaguars, etc

The grey temples we are familiar with, is the modern, weathered temple with no upkeep. The paint has washed off, the temples were usually overgrown and dug back out from the reclaimed jungles.

So, color aside I like the Temple.
    Good to know, NK - I hadn't realized you were an archeaology major. Simulating the gleam of mica in the ochre and brightly colored Kulkulkan relief is something I could try. It will take some careful texturing to look right, though.

Initially I was planning to create a jungle enshrouded temple complex ruin, but the more I think about it, the better to simulate a mayan structure under current habitation - or in "like new condition," so I ought to get the colors right, shouldn't I.

I was planning not to do something of the scale of Teotihucan, rather more like the more obscure and smaller sites in the southern Yucatan, around the Mexico/Belize border area. Something with a population of only several thousand.

Regarding the 3/4 view, I guess my goal is not truly a "map" so much as an aerial view over the temple complex, as you might find in an illustration site overview. However, then I can create true top down battlemap of corridors within structures located in the 3/4 view complex map.

I'll check out those links again, thanks for the tip, NK!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post I think 3 versions then

I think I should create 3 versions of this, then.

1. A brand-new Mayan temple complex using NK's suggested mica colors.

2. A ruined Mayan temple complex in grey with surrounding jungle

3. A true isometric version version so you can tile it.

I'll start doing that this afternoon.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I think I should create 3 versions of this, then.

1. A brand-new Mayan temple complex using NK's suggested mica colors.

2. A ruined Mayan temple complex in grey with surrounding jungle

3. A true isometric version version so you can tile it.

GP
    I can't wait to see it GP! This sounds like an awesome project. If you could also do the top down views as you go, people could toss this into a VT and use the iso view as the portrait image and the top down to play on. That would really rock.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post

GP
    So that means you'll be done by tomorrow, right?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sounds promsing GP, looking forward to it
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

He moves at the speed of light...it's probably already collecting dust somewhere
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip More experimentation...

Ok, did some more experimentation...

Trying a topdown in 3D, as I figured, just didn't do such a hot job (first image below is 3D topdown, low res and no color JPG)

The second image is an attempt and decorative texturing, as per NK's tip. I can try harder, but this is difficult to achieve in 3D. I did this in the same model as the first ziggurat post #1. (both maps below are transparent PNG files)

As far as texturing goes, I see hieroglyphics and Kukulkan relief carvings to be on the face of the walls, not on the top walking surfaces. Am I wrong in thinking this, NK? So I didn't texture colorful detail on the top surfaces.

The third map is a colorized topdown of a ziggurat created in Xara Xtreme, rather than 3D, with bevels and halo shadows to simulate the 3D depth. For top-downs, I think I'm going to have to stick to Xara. The Xara version has four sets of stairs all around the structure, though not found at Chichen Itza, apparently most ziggurats featured four flights of stairs instead of just one.

I tried a 3D version using an isometric camera. At the angle of the same model above, the difference was almost unnoticeable, so I didn't post that version. Must think some more on this.

So it looks like I'll be creating more with 3/4 view 3D, as well as topdown versions in Xara.

Thoughts?

GP

PS: this is a tougher challenge for me, so not the "light speed" guys you thought, huh?

PPS: by the way, NK, had to "rep" you on your color tips and links - much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ziggurat-top.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	6616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ziggurat-colored.jpg 
Views:	1041 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	6617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ziggurat-topdown-color.png 
Views:	719 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	6618  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-23-2008 at 01:22 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast