Thread: Falkenbach

Guild Novice

Default Falkenbach

Hi everybody, I'm still experimenting with different styles but here is one of my outcomes. the Town is called Falkenbach

If there is anything I could do better plese let my know!

Best Hacki

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falkenbach.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	657.3 KB 
ID:	71278

Hello hacki,
    i really like the colours and the shape/ arrengement of the river(s) and forestlines.
    Just two small remarks:
    - Due to the shadows, the houses and forests seem to be "hovering" above the ground. Will you colour the houses too?
    - I am no expert on this topic, but maybe a more "natural" place for settlement might be near the bifurcation(?) of the major river...(for transportation with ships?)

I'm looking forward to your further experimenting.

Guild Novice

Thank you Abu Lafia ... you are defently right about the houses and the forests I will try to correct this and upload the improved version of the map. To the natural city position... I've given a lot of thought about that and decided to move the city next to the castle and the silver mill ... but I intend to let the city grow (I'm not shure if I'll keep it that way). And you are right again this city defently needs a port (I'm thinking of moving it to the bifurcation and let the city grow from there)

Thanks again
    Last edited by hacki; 03-02-2015 at 02:55 AM.

I absolutely adore your colour palette. Not sure what sort of effect you're going for, so I might be completely off-base, but I'll swear there's monsters living in that top forest...

Nice map. Unfortunately I don't know German, so I don't know what all the labels are, but it is very nice aesthetically, and I think your village layout is also quite well done.

I think there are plenty of reasons for this town to start where it did: eg. that was where a natural ford/river crossing was located; it is a more defensible location; it was on a pre-existing trade route, it has better farmland etc.

Speaking of which, are those brown patchs near the river at #8 supposed to be fields?
    --If they are not, then I think you should add some farm-plots to the map, probably near the main village.
    --If they are, then I think they are an element of the map that doesn't work at the moment. First off, the texture doesn't suit the style of the rest of the map. Secondly, I think the very blurry edges don't look realistic. Third, the fields would look better if they were shown in irregular rectangles and squares, rather than amorphous blobs. Fourth, I would expect the fields would be closer to the main settlement, since, in a village of this scale, most of the inhabitants are probably farmers. They don't want to walk too far to get to their fields each day.

Another question: which direction is the river flowing? Based on its changing width, it looks as though it enters on the western edge and flows out on the south (rather than vice-versa). But if this is the case, the join with the tributary river (from the east) is strangely shaped.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Novice

Thanks THW for your reply and your really helpful comment but to answer your questions:

-yes the #8 defines the farmlands and I think you are right the field textures are looking a littlebit odd ... I'll do some corrections on that

- and the river.. yeah hmmm thats really embarrassing that i forgott to work more carefully on the rivershape ... normally it has to get bigger from the SSE to NNW (I sketched it like that but well you see what happened) --- so the river flows from SSE to NNW

I hope I can give you all a new map by the end of the week (hopefully on Friday)

Best hacki

... and I'll try to translate the map
    Last edited by hacki; 03-02-2015 at 02:56 AM.

Guild Novice

Thanks ChickPea maybe i put some in there in my next session

Lovely work, the colors are very nice.

As others have mentioned, the colors are very nice indeed. Personally I feel hand drawing the houses would have been preferable to simple shapes for this sort of map, but otherwise nicely done.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

hmm since there were many constructive coments I decided to change the map from the very begininning and this is my first sketch... I'll propably (@ arsheesh) hand draw the houses later in the progress Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falkenbach roling.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	71390 but the place of the town isn't fixed so don't wory about that