Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: More cities (City Designer 3)

Quote Originally Posted by mogul76 View Post
    No, I'm not Dutch. But I spent about 20 years of my life in the Netherlands (Rotterdam and Amsterdam)... and I'm not that old ;-) By the way, you seem to be a very fast cartographer!
    Ah, I live near Rotterdam and work there
    Strange though... living most of your life in the Netherlands and not being Dutch

Because it's such a blast to make city maps with CD3 I have been spending about 4 hours each day mapping. Which is enough to do smaller maps like Noorderpoort or Westerpont.

Next up Ravenburcht... I think.

So, my seventh map turned out to be another small village. I wanted to experiment a bit with a white underground and snowy trees.

Venduras is a village of about four hundred people. It lies outside the Valley, which means its covered in snow most of the year. To the north lies a forest and some mountains. There's a small iron mine there that is exploited.

A lot of villagers are involved in the herding of reindeer. The animals are raised for meat, hides, milk and antlers. They are also used for transportation. The village gets few travelers, but there is small inn and a few times a year products are brought to The Valley to be sold. Or if the villagers are lucky some travelling merchants will visit them.

Venduras has no soldiers or militia, but is only occasionaly preyed upon by bandits as it is far from prosperous. There's an elected mayor, although elections are only open to certain male elders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venduras1.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	6632  

Also added a floorplan of the keep/fortified mansion in Verena made with Dungeon Designer 3:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?p=32561
    (I put the thread in another forum, as this one is intended for city maps).

For my eight map I picked Ravenburcht.

Ravenburcht (translated something like Raven's Keep) has grown a lot in the last years and is now a respectable city and home to a few thousand citizens. Most of the traffic going to the capital Concetron passes through this city and over its toll bridge. There's a fortified house near the bridge where the administration collects the money.

The city is dominated by a large castle on a cliff. It was once built to protect Concetron and is now garrisoned by Alliance soldiers. There used to be a large statue of the wizard Téodan on the cliff - the first thing travelers would notice when passing over the bridge - but it was torn down after the fall of the hated wizard.

During the revolution there was a battle near this city and the leader of the revolution was almost killed. A bodyguard was formed to protect him, basing its name on the nearby keep: the Silver Ravens. The Alliance monarch is still protected by these highly skilled swordfighters, dressed in black and a silver raven pinned to their chest.

Name:	ravenburcht1.jpg 
Views:	2284 
Size:	574.4 KB 
ID:	6653  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-25-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Your cities are fantastic Gandwarf. We are very much in need of city designers at the CWBP. If you havn't had a look at the project threads please do so. Also if you have any city designs hanging around we would love to give them a home. Keep up the great work.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree with Torq, and each one is just a bit better than the previous, an obvious indication of your increasing skill/familiarity with CD3.

Keep up the good work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the comments guys!

So I wanted to do a quick map again. I am not entirely happy with it and might redo it in the future.

This is the town of Paradijs (Paradise). Do not let the name fool you however, as this used to be a very miserable place in the south. The sorceress Ylianne sent thousands of slaves here to work in the nearby silver mines. A camp was established and around it evolved a small town (overseers, soldiers, free skilled workers and their families). Conditions in the camp and mines were very bad, prisoner abuse rampant, and not many survived even for a year. But there were always more slaves being sent.

The brilliant Alliance general Belarcar - once a simple fisherman from Meerzicht - put an end to Ylianne's reign when he defeated her armies near her seat of power: Sirilion. A few weeks later this camp was liberated. It now functions as a prison for Ylianne's followers.

Name:	paradijs1.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	6657  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-26-2008 at 08:08 AM.

All these places called Paradise, and none of them live up to the name
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    All these places called Paradise, and none of them live up to the name
    Haha, it's a bit of a cliche, yes. But I would like to think it was an extra slap in the face of the people sent there. The name mocked them.

Some wonderful maps in this thread. Also nice to see less "regular" city walls. I'm not a big fan of symmetrical city defences, they usually tend to conform more to the landscape and shape of the city, rather than aesthetics. Plus, constructing them is expensive, so they usually take the shortest route.

Although, saying that, a couple of the cities I've designed have symmetrical city wall layouts. If your city history can justify, then it's fine really... =P

But anyway, I really like the cities, they are all very interesting.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast