Thread: Kharoun - Empire of the Red Sands

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Map Kharoun - Empire of the Red Sands

I decided to call the map of Kharoun finished (otherwise i'll continue to work forever on "just one more small thing here and there" )!

You can find the WIP thread here

The map depicts the empire of Kharoun, ruled by Shan Kassar "the Conquerer", heir of a dynasty of warrior-nomads.
    Three generations ago, they had to leave their homelands in the north-east, caused by a desastrous drought after the second sun-eclipse in a lifetime. Also the shadows of the past, the Ancestors of Artuun haunted their lands. Led by the fearless Kharoun , the nomadic tribes went south-west and conquered the rich cities of the fertile valleys to establish a new realm.
    Although the heirs of Kharoun could expand their empire - the federation of Daq'Tar is the latest qonquest - the reign of Shan Kassar is facing uncertain times. The tributary provinces are longing for independence and the Ancestors of Artuun are gathering outside the walls of the mighty fortress Kar'Garat ...

It's my second attempt at digital cartography (gimp), any comments, critique, etc. are welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kharoun_lowres_by_AbuLafia.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	71365  

Well done, Abu Lafia! You've done a great job, and your WIP shows clear and definite improvement from one version to the next.

Have some rep.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I really like the style here very different and well done!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I love the look and the colors. The text is a little hard to read in places.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Nice work. I really like those tokens and the compass rose too btw.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Fine map, good colour scheme!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice Abu lafia Colors works very well though I agree with Xpian that some labels are hard to read ( probably because of the font choice - outerglow could be worked more too)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

By THW your WIP shows clear and definite improvement from one version to the next
    Thanks THW! Actually, a lot of the improvement was thanks to your helpful comments and critique in the wip.

By xpain The text is a little hard to read in places.
    By - Max - I agree with Xpian that some labels are hard to read ( probably because of the font choice - outerglow could be worked more too)
    Thanks for the comments on the labels! I know the font is a little hard to read: The capital G for example looks somewhat like a capital B, which lets you read the name of the northern bay "Grauwasser" ("Greywater") as "Brauwasser" ("brewing water") . I think you all know the trickyness of choosing the right font. In the next project i'll propably go with a better readable one! I thought the outerglow is already pretty much, but i'll continue to experiment with that...

Thousand thanks to all of you! I really appreciate the nice feedback!

Good and original map with a nice color palette.