Thread: Some more of my take on KotSF A12-14

Map Some more of my take on KotSF A12-14

Here are a few more of my maps inspired by The Keep on the Shadowfell. I use these maps with a projector firing down on a custom table I built.

I had been using scans of the maps from the module, while it worked, it lacked the impact I wanted so I decided to try to create my own.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A12 - Hobgoblin Guard Room.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	6609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A13 Hobgoblin Barracks.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	6610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A14 Warchiefs Council.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	6611  

Blog Entries

Pretty neat map. I especially like the floor and we were talking about voronoi patterns a few weeks back too. The walls could do with just a touch of shadow to bring out the depth of them but its a clean and neat map.

You should tell us what you used to make it with and also post some of your projector set up too. We had a little talk about projectors a while ago too. Just out of a kind of professional interest, do you find getting the image projected into correct scale for your miniatures an issue for your maps ?

Thanks. I’ll try to get a few pictures of my setup, over the next few days.

The maps are all done with Dundjinni, although I do quite a bit of finishing in Photoshop. I still have a lot to learn about both tools.

As far as using the projector, I use MapTool from RPTools. It’s an open source application designed for remote play. I host the DM session on my laptop, and have the projector connected to a desktop PC. The desktop/projector joins the session as a player. I can then use the fog of war option to reveal parts of the map as the players explore.

Maptools lets me scale the map just by zooming in and out. I usually set a mini on the table and zoom the map to match.

Blog Entries

Ok thats cool. I thought it was a Dunjinni but thought id ask. Playing with a projector is a well cool way to run a gaming session. I don't have one tho but wish I did.

Quote Originally Posted by mlochowitz View Post
    Thanks. I’ll try to get a few pictures of my setup, over the next few days.

The maps are all done with Dundjinni, although I do quite a bit of finishing in Photoshop. I still have a lot to learn about both tools.

As far as using the projector, I use MapTool from RPTools. It’s an open source application designed for remote play. I host the DM session on my laptop, and have the projector connected to a desktop PC. The desktop/projector joins the session as a player. I can then use the fog of war option to reveal parts of the map as the players explore.

Maptools lets me scale the map just by zooming in and out. I usually set a mini on the table and zoom the map to match.
    Wait, are you playing online or face to face?

I really, really want to move to a digital projector for our games, but i'm a little hesitant to plop the money down. I also don't know what is the best kind of projector to get, or how to rig it. My attic has a high ceiling though (like 8 or 9 feet) so i don't know if that's good or bad.

I'd love to see some pictures of your setup. And any other details you can share about projection gaming. I love the printed maps, but they're getting to be a pain in the butt to make.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
    I also don't know what is the best kind of projector to get, or how to rig it. My attic has a high ceiling though (like 8 or 9 feet) so i don't know if that's good or bad.
    You don't necessarily need a high ceiling if your able to mount a mirror on the ceiling instead. Another option is to use a table with frosted glass top - you can get clear glass and peel sticky back plastic sheet frosting, or aerosol sprayable frosting for it. You can then project up onto the back of it so that your miniatures do not cast shadows or objects take on projection hue. If you mount a mirror at an angle you can project sideways and mirror the image up onto the back of the frosted sheet.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As far as that glass goes, don't bother with contact paper...sandblasted glass or acid etched glass is not that expensive. I buy clear 1/8 inch thick glass for 75 cents per square foot, sandblasted is 92 cents and acid etched is 1.20 dollars. Depending on size you would have to get something thicker and that can up the costs quite a bit, so my question is how big would this be? Tell me that and I can tell you an estimate for the retail price. As an aside I use 1/4 inch thick glass on my painting table (4 feet by 8 feet) for painting up church windows and I hang 8 lights below it to throw light up onto my drawing, put the glass on top then paint the tracing lines. I would recommend the acid etch since sandblast tends to leave fingerprints.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by mlochowitz View Post
    Here are a few more of my maps inspired by The Keep on the Shadowfell. I use these maps with a projector firing down on a custom table I built.

I had been using scans of the maps from the module, while it worked, it lacked the impact I wanted so I decided to try to create my own.

Mike
    Those look great. I've been working on my own version of KotS, but 100% in the Gimp. I picked up a 24" monitor that I'm going to place facing the players for their version of the map... though a projector isn't far behind.

I own Dundjini but don't use it much because of the size limitations. I should probably use it more, it might help me along.

Are you stitching together the encounter maps to allow the players to continuously explore? (Since Dundjini doesn't provide enough space for the full map).

I started by stitching the maps together for continuous exploring, however, I actually like to narrate the session and only drop a map when we start an encounter. I think it give the player more role playing options.

With my projector, I have 4 players playing in person, and one who plays remote. We set minis over the digital tokens, but anyone who can't make it to the session can play online with us and see the battle map. It works pretty well.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

It's interesting seeing how you reinterpreted my maps to make them campaign and projector friendly.

Good work!
    Mike
    Last edited by Schley; 10-05-2008 at 08:07 PM.