Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** March Challenge - Make a One Page Dungeon ***

So I might have time to squeeze an entry in. I've been notified that the next video game strategy guide I will be working on won't happen until the end of April, and that project is maps for Batman video game. So I got some time available to participate!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Well, I'm just about done working on the basic map part of this...I now have to put a lot of effort into the text/story portion....yay. As soon as I figure out what exactly I want to call this thing I'll post up some progressive images and my latest. So, don't worry guys there will be at least one more entry. Not sure how it's going to come out yet but it'll be there.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hmm, Houston, we may have a problem...

I ran a test print to see how my entry would look printed on my laser printer and it wants to clip a little bit along the edges. Is there a limit to how close it can get to the edge of the paper and therefore do I need to make sure that my entry is actually inside of that range? This means I'm going to be smaller than 8.5 x 11 by about 1/8 of an inch on each edge.

Can anyone say if creating the canvas in Photoshop as A4 (8.5" x 11") is sufficient or do we have to think about this printer edge issue? They did say to keep in mind that some judges may print out your dungeon to look at it on paper.

Thanks for any insight.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Banned User

Hi Jaxilon,

I am using Photoshop 2500x3300 px at 300 ppi, which is 8.5x11 inches. I put an edge marker guide 75 px from each edge, and that printed perfectly with no loss using the normal windows print for a .jpg image.

I am using 8 x 10.5 inches as the defined map area, knowing there is always a deletion area of at least 1/4 inch on all sides of a printed PDF. Since I'm actually hand-drawing the details, I am drawing it at a much increased scale of that same proportion of that 8 x 10.5 at 24 inches x 31.5 inches, so I have room to draw. Once the map is created, I will rescale to 8 x 10.5 and export to PDF.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I looked and looked, does anybody know where (what email) that OPDC submissions are sent to this year? I've checked the info page and there are lines on deadline, but not where to send it...?
    DrivethruRPG store

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I looked and looked, does anybody know where (what email) that OPDC submissions are sent to this year? I've checked the info page and there are lines on deadline, but not where to send it...?

OPD main page, 5th bullet from the bottom in the Submission Guide.
    "Submissions must be sent as a PDF to dungeoncontest@gmail.com"

Huh, Maybe someone can help me with this but when I save my map out of Photoshop CS6 as .pdf it screws up some of the text lines (as in they are white instead of black). It's odd because the rest of the paragraph is correct but the first line is white characters and one a few lines down is actually half white and half black (top/bottom) and I'm not sure what the deal is.

I'll keep testing it out in case I find a way but if you know please let me know. We still have a few days but it is worrisome.

Here is a crummy screenshot of what I mean:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	72056
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-25-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Have you tried rasterizing the text before exporting to PDF?
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast