Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

I have a question. that ridgeline near the northern gate where the wall travels southeast, is the city below or above? When I first looked at it I thought the city was above with the wall running below the city instead of along the ridgeline. When I looked at it again it looks like the city is below. This leaves me to wornder, if the city is lower and there is a cliff or ridge above it wouldn't it be really easy for an invading army to rain death from above without having to knock down walls?

Aside from that I really like the map.

Hey ascanius. City is below, and yes it would. I am still on the fence about whether I want to extend the wall.
    Walls are sometimes more than just defense from invaders. Sometimes it's more about control of economics/trading/merchants and such. Or thievery.
    Sometimes it has to do with controlling the population inside the walls.
    The expansion was done by a force that invaded and subjected the original population of Haerlech.
    That being said, like I said, I'm still on the fence about that area of wall. And a few other spots. It's a WIP so perhaps it may change.

I thought I'd add, the invaders are the only real force in the area that pose a threat, atm at least.

Looking very nice!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Looks really good, very neat and great detail!
    I'm super impressed with the speed this is coming along!

.. wish my own city map was developing at anything like the pace!! lol
    Orbis Terrarum RPG - The British RPG of Swords, Sorcery & Science.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Diamond - see, now you're building that up too much. It will surely disappoint.
    Consider it motivation for awesomeness.

Pasis, Ilanthar, Arsheesh, Chashio - thanks guys and gal. I should have an update tonight sometime.

Fifty - thank you sir. It 's taking a toll. I've gotten to the point a few times where I think why did I start this.
    Just got to keep at it I guess. Big cities take a lot. And yours is probably 2-3 times as big.

Diamond - I've already scrapped 3 ideas for the Dead so far. 'Cause they weren't cool enough.

It takes a lot of time (now I know) but it's looking good

It really does Azelor. I need to develop a faster way to do some of this.
    Today was a marathon session of roof lines and roof shadows. Just as I was getting ready to upload the update I noticed that I missed some roofs. Damn. I thought I was done with roof shadows. Oh well, more progress when I can. Here's today's update.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 02d_update2.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	71496
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-12-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Aren't big cities fun? =P
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Missing those roof shadows is a lack of professionalism I wouldn't have expected of you

This is looking excellent, J.Edward, and I'm really pleased you're continuing it after the challenge. Are you still going to show its evolution, or just the final stages of the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Aren't big cities fun? =P
    Is it just me, or is there a real surge in (amazing) city maps at the moment?

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast