Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

I forgot to add the image.
    So here's some alternate roof colors. Less saturated.
    Any opinions welcome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 02e_update2alt1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	647.8 KB 
ID:	71624
    And together, just for the sake of progress.

Name:	Haerlech 04b merge.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	71625
    Last edited by J.Edward; 03-13-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Yes, unfortunately. I think it will be in May, but - fingers crossed - maybe before. (I'm able to show a small area to tease, like this thou... see below)
    I'm sure you find a probable solution. Reddish-brown seems okay on first glance, maybe a bit darker. =)

And here are some WIP of smaller areas. Unfortunately I can't post it in it's whole glory. Maybe this will just show you what I meant about much work on details. You will also notice that it is a WIP, the colors are chancing throughout the three images. Last one is pretty much final. (c)Ulisses Spiele & Distribution GmbH

Name:	Unbenannt-1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	548.0 KB 
ID:	71635

Name:	Ausschnitt2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	504.2 KB 
ID:	71636

Name:	Ausschnitt_3.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	550.2 KB 
ID:	71637
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 03-14-2015 at 05:00 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I think the less desaturated colours on the recent version look better. Really roofs don't tend to show much variation - they are often all made from the same local material so can look pretty uniform (and boring).
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I also tend to prefer less desatutated colors, especially since you're using different roof colors. Surrounding terrain color though might have some sort of influence of it, you will probably have to adjust it at a later stage (or not ) Anyway, very nice job so far!

I am really glad you are finishing this . It is really coming along well!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Steffen - that looks like it is pretty cool. I'll be anxious to see that one.

Larb and Max. Thanks for the input. I'm a bit confused though - you both said you liked the less desaturated... meaning you like the saturated version?
    Well, at this point I may just go back and do one main color for the roofs on both versions. More like Frosthaven. I do like the look of that more. It's more uniform and to me, more visually pleasing. And as you said Larb, that is really more how it would be. Oh well, more repainting. C'est la vie.

lostatsea - thanks sir.

Err, I meant less saturated. I like the version with desaturated colours more. Although keep in mind I have a preference for desaturated colours anyway.

I do too. I sort of figured that was what you two had meant.
    I started doing more colorful work because most people like saturated stuff, and as an illustrator I have to appeal to a wider market.
    I will admit that I am not nearly as adept at subtle desaturated color as say, Max for example. I really admire his style and color work.

Yes, I like Max's colour work too. One of the reasons I am doing my current map completely hand painted is so I can try and break out of the usual predetermined palettes I use for town maps.

Okay. Terracotta it is. That was what I was originally going to do so that is what I returned to. It might seem dull but it looks better to me. Well, for this city at least.
    Still, any critiques or thoughts are still welcome. I could change it all again [though I really doubt it].
    So far... still much more to do...

Name:	Haerlech 02e_alt2update1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	71668

I hear ya Larb. Breaking habits can be tough. I still find that I return to some that I thought were changed.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 03-15-2015 at 01:27 AM.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast