Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

I think going with terracotta is a good idea, but you can make it a bit more varied. There could be different hues of terracotta (eg, where old tiles had to be replaced with new ones), and some buildings could be covered by different materials (important buildings might be given metal sheet roofing, for instance).

One little criticism (and this might just be personal opinion, in which case ignore it), I think the cliffs look very smooth, and not rough enough (compared, for instance, to the areas around the harbour). I really like the shading on them, though.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Hey THW. I still have more roof work to do. I am already using 8-10 color variations, though more subtle this time. I am trying a few things today to give some other variation.
    Plus I still have a sort of grungy/dirt layer to add over top of the roofs once I'm done with the color. Same goes with the roads/paths.

The cliffs, well, they were drawn at different times. I may have done a better job on the newer areas by the sea. I'll look over them again.
    That's the point of a wip, finding ways to improve.
    Thanks for the input.

Map

Finally starting on the land forms. One of my favorite parts.
    This is just a quick preliminary stage of shape and shadow. More to be done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 02e_alt2update3.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	71698
    I did more to the roofs and to the cliffs.
    May have another update tonight if I can get enough done today.

Very snazzy! Always a pleasure watching one of your pieces come together Sir.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Map

Last update for the weekend. Got a good bit done today but not as much as I'd hoped. Still, it's getting there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 02e_alt2update4.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	71708
    Thanks Arsheesh and Domino.

Due to my lacking english vocabulary (espacially varieties of praises): this map of Haerlech is just ... herrlich! Btw. there is much to learn from this WIP-thread, thanks!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is fantastic. And I'm starting to learn that there just aren't shortcuts for some things, so major respect to the time you've put in and the quality that's come out.

It's fantastic to watch this come together. I'm really enjoying the posts.

Wow, you're going fast on this! Great work, I love the way you manage the reliefs.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast