Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy map as evidence in a lawsuit

Post Fantasy map as evidence in a lawsuit

I don't know who has seen this:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/0...ar-a-swip.html

Is God of War a swipe of 2002 screenplay?
    Interesting is the claim that the one map is based on the other... with claims like:

• Barette-Herzog's map has a Meadow of Lost Souls flanked by dark silhouettes. God of War's in-game map has an area called the Desert of Lost Souls, flanked by similar figures. In each map, both regions are bordered by dark, triangular trees or mountains.
    • Both maps use similar symbol for the hero's destination, a mountain range with a small, round door beneath the highest peak.
    (follow the link to see the two maps)

-Rob A>

Wow. Seriously, how dumb can it get?

"I sue you because you look similar to me!!!"

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see nearly as much similarity as is claimed. I wouldn't even call it a derivative work.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Hmm I am not used to the US Law but I seriously hope someone wanna just make some quick cash?
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Both maps use similar symbol for the hero's destination, a mountain range with a small, round door beneath the highest peak.
    Sounds like the entrance the lonely mountain in the hobbit to me.

That is one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry regardless of the medium. We all have a very familiar background and set of works that we draw from. Whether it is the roleplayers, the console players, or the writers, we all pretty much have knowledge of Tolkien, D&D, mythologies of the world, and that one ring that binds us all - the maps that came with those works.

All that is going to continually influence whatever is created after it to some degree and to seek legal damages of any kind is going to be met with a lot of hesitation on the jurors side if the defense attorney is doing a decent job to point that fact out.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

A completely personal opinion, having run approximately 20 copyright infringement trials, albeit in a different jurisdiction; if thats substantial similarity I'm a mung bean.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    That is one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry regardless of the medium. We all have a very familiar background and set of works that we draw from. Whether it is the roleplayers, the console players, or the writers, we all pretty much have knowledge of Tolkien, D&D, mythologies of the world, and that one ring that binds us all - the maps that came with those works.

All that is going to continually influence whatever is created after it to some degree and to seek legal damages of any kind is going to be met with a lot of hesitation on the jurors side if the defense attorney is doing a decent job to point that fact out.
    Hey, do you think the defence attorney will read my post and thank for introducing him to Tolkien?

Torq...I'm gonna sue you for using the words 'personal' and 'albeit' I'm sure I used them before you.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome to the Litigation States of America
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hey, do you think the defence attorney will read my post and thank for introducing him to Tolkien?

Torq...I'm gonna sue you for using the words 'personal' and 'albeit' I'm sure I used them before you.
    I had another look at the old tolkien map from the hobbit. Man, the entrance to Smaug's lair in the lonely mountain is recalled quite sharply. Unless the Defendant's lawyer is a Tolkien fan, I reckon s/he may miss a trick there.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast