Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Azraghael

Default Azraghael

May I present Azraghael, my latest fantasy map. This effort represents my first attempt at entirely handdrawn mountains, as well as my first go at some fantasy heraldry. Again, there's no story in mind here, just what came out of my head and onto the screen, though I do plan to expand upon certain regions by making a city map of one of these places. Let me know your thoughts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Azraghael HQ.jpg 
Views:	1653 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	71463

Banned User

A very nice job!! I like the colors, the style and the overall composition. Rivers look good, mountains are well drawn, but see this thread for more ideas to improve the mountains:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ight=mountains

I've used the "picture overlapping the frame" in other art forms, but I don't think it works well in cartography. You really need a neatline and clear edge to the map, IMHO.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Well done! I like the coat of arms.
    I think 'picture overlapping the frame' works well in cartography, but probably not with this type of elaborate frame.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 03-09-2015 at 04:23 AM.

Wow, a very fine map indeed. Have some Rep.!

If i could wish for two things (yes, two ) : 1) i would like a higher resolution so that i can zoom in even more...to see all the glorious details. 2) the forests could use a bit more contrast/color. As it is, i almost overlooked them. It doesn't "pop" enough, which is a shame, imo.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Overall a really nice map.
    Great border, cartouche and heraldry, nice mountains and composition.
    I'm not convinced by forests though, they seem to me more grunge spots in the parchment than tree clusters.
    Anyway, good job!

Excellent map!

This is absolutely lovely! I really like your colour palette and the border, title and labelling look great. Your coastlines and mountains look good too. Repped!

Guild Artisan

Quite nice composition.
    Too many mountains and some strange T shapes of the ranges at Samal Grey and Danoh for my taste.
    If other posters didn't mention forests I would have thought that there were none. They would definitely need a bit of enhancing.
    What I like least are the hills - too regular, all of the same height and shape (especially the NW islands and witching grove).

I like the coastline and the nice ocean color which is very near to the tone Earth's oceans have when seen from space.
    The shields also fit well - neither overwhelming nor invisible.

Very lovely work indeed. I agree with others about the forests though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast